HMAS Australia 2 by SJI - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while now, checking out the builds from some of the magnificent gentlemen.

Please allow me to open with this amazing photo from the Australian War Memorial collection.  

HMAS AUSTRALIA, AT SEA. 1943-02. PETTY OFFICER A.E. COSLETT, RN. PETTY OFFICER COSLETT IS A SURVIVOR FROM HMS REPULSE AND IS SHOWN SURROUNDED BY A GROUP OF SAILORS WHILE HE WORKS ON HIS SCALE MODEL OF HMAS AUSTRALIA

image.png.e47a14d3fdd047ab3adbc588d0732e47.png

I figure if its OK for a bone fide war hero to build model ships, I can get on board.  My first pun in the forum.  Apolgies.

I'm going to bore you all now, justifying my existence.  I also would like to preface my comments by mentioning i won't be starting my build until after i get a mystery Christmas gift, i bought for myself, so my family don't cock it up.  😅 Sorry if that a pain.  I'm hoping that a few of the guys who have threatened to build Australia 2 can weigh in and give me some tips.

I've been modelling most of my life, now I'm 52, and a couple of years ago a mate of mine wrote rules for a naval combat game.  I helped him play test it, and surprisingly had a good time playing.  Naval games hadn't ever piqued my interest. So, I started reading, and discovered that Australia had a Battlecruiser in world war, the first.  I have one in a very small scale.  

So I decided to build HMAS Australia the Heavy Cruiser version, after reading Mike Carltons book.  He describes her as a 'happy' and 'lucky' ship.  She also survived the war, unlike many others from the RAN.  This is important as i don't want negative energy in my house. 

I basically am at the research stage.  I know I'm bighting off a lot, but I might be able to make a decent fist of her, without reaching the dizzying heights of much of the work I've seen here.

I've decided on this as a colour scheme.  It is symbolic of the transition at the time away from the RN, and towards the USN, and a level of independence more broadly in Australia's defence policy. 

image.png.54b31b071acfa5fc4eb80cddba7f9f08.png

I also know i don't need to buy wooden decks, the kit ones will do just fine.

HMAS AUSTRALIA, AT SEA. 1943-02. SAILORS OF HMAS AUSTRALIA PAINTING THE QUARTERDECK GREY IN ORDER TO RENDER IT INCONSPICUOUS FROM THE AIR. NOTE SHIPS OF CONVOY ON HORIZON.

image.png.a2a509fa42b838b5fef73383b4b0ea87.png

And i don't need to replace the f'ocsle decking with non skid plate.  Seems to be wood.

image.png.8fd20969b96873aef9ed99e8cbc8c17e.png

I will get  white ensign upgrade kit, and weapons, funnels, ships boats and other excellent bit bobs from micromaster.  I have emailed Kraken about the Canberra upgrade kit, but have no response yet.  I feel I might not need it?  This is based on reading build logs here and on Brit modeller.  Please correct me if I'm wrong

I hope to take advice on how to do the conversion from Kent to Australia from someone.  And any advice on parts that will make her build smooth sailing for me.  My second pun.  I'm on a roll.  

Especially moving the guns to the main deck and the removal of the upper decks.

image.png.84fdff0354a3aa3350b563f1ae509d65.png

Thank you all in advance.  

Sean 

Oh well.

I'm wondering if this is worth it.

Costed up the bits from Micromaster at over $400 AUD, guns, funnels, deck gubbins.  Reconsidering most of the upgrades.  Luckily my order glitched or i might have rage spent.  

I'm not even sure if i have the skills or capacity to do this ship justice.  I mean its basically a toy out of the box, there are no plans I can find, most of the conversions are based on photos, and guesswork.

I bought a book, it might help.  I bought some plans, they are from 1930, so mostly $22 wasted, apart from they might help with with rigging and naming conventions. 

Even finding paint is no where near as easy as I thought.  

Hi RGL,

Yes, i tried profile Morskie, no joy there.  My mate who did 3 D CAD for his wargame showed me a link to a guy who just used the 1930 plans, and changed the colours to show "plans" of HMAS Aussie in various time frames, all without the armament upgrades, or the aircraft catapult.  

I have an airbrush, been using it for about 10 years.  Personally wouldn't bother modelling without one. 

There are boxes of documents from Garden Island that are in the national archives in Canberra.  they don't show them online, or even give details, other than to say 'plans'.   Leons drawings on WWII cruiser are the best i've seen, but still lacking enough detail.

This is a research topic worthy of someones time, I think. 

The truth is out there.

• 2 months later...

I’ve skipped many steps, like wiring up the funnels, and railings, but I wanted to see the guns on.

I messed up the placement of the 4” HA, I dropped them straight down, but when trying to fit the shields, they didn’t sit right, so I rechecked and found the for’d guns were too far aft.  (I know, nautical terms.  I’ve come so far)😂

also micromaster include gun beds, so I don’t have to remove the plastic ones from the upper deck. 

micromaster are superior to kit parts, but still need some work to get together.  Not as seamless as I hoped.

the time saved is totally worth it. Especially the funnels.  You gotta get the funnels anyway, to get the height right.

05A17303-12F1-45F5-AEEC-210914BD9C26.jpeg

Edited by SJI
Forgot pic, I did a spelling