Sultana by DanB - Model Shipways - 1:64

Traveler rod and bock

On the ship now, an I did not knock the transom off or drill a hole clear through it!

Getting the hook on the block was difficult.

This site was very helpful in understanding the process, but I still had to look at the pictures a bunch of times. It took several tries. The third hand tool, CA glue and a lot of patience were essential. 

http://modelboatyard.com/stropping.html

IMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.a66aeee5e87627d0886c144670caa57b.jpeg

Current Build:  Sultana 1:64

Completed: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

NRG 18th Century Merchantman Half Hull Project

Looking good!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Yes. Model Shipways stopped producing solid hull models. Maybe they could bring it back as plank on bulkhead at a larger scale.

Thanks Bill. I also like them both. I did not feel I was able to be as accurate using the templates to shape the solid hull on my first try here , but I think I need more practice and would definitely try another solid hull in the future.

I have been woking on the binnacle. Chuck’s shop notes have great step by step instructions how to scratch build one that looks like the one on the plans and has more detail than the casting supplied with the ship. This was mostly great fun. Chuck suggests using heads of brass nails for drawer handles. They looked to big so I tried using heads of pins, Slippery things that flew all over the place never to be seen again! I got 2 of them in and gave up on the upper 2 and decided a couple of little black dots would be good enough. Next is to figure out how it gets lashed to the deck. 

IMG_0852.thumb.jpeg.40f8357ae49f39e1dc535f2c0d074b69.jpeg

IMG_0853.thumb.jpeg.3017ba8ca7075dc074e41e977e58bde4.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Pumps and windlass.  Scratch built pumps using Chucks instructions.  I was stumped by the windlass. I could not get the hexagonal shape right. I gave up after 3 attempts. I painted the kit supplied castings for the windlass and galley stack.

IMG_0880.thumb.jpeg.20e9b3deec8fc687509b5a368ae76a44.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 7:46 AM, DanB said:

The next task is to install  the waterway Chuck says to slice a 1/32 square basswood strip. diagonally so it has a triangular cross section. I am not sure I can do that, certainly not accurately, and I do have a fondness for my fingers!

Take a look at my build for the Syren. I left the waterways off my Sultana for the same reason you mentioned. But I found an elegant way of making them diagonal for my Syren. 

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.