Tackle on guns Heller 1/100 HMS Victory

JEFFRAV

I am building a 1:100 Soleil Royale.  I used a 2mm block for all the gun tackles.  A 2mm block scales to 7.8 inches for the actual size. That is not far off what would be be used. And, visually it looks pleasing on the model. You get a decent drift between the two tackle blocks.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Longridge says he based his blocks on 9" full size.  That would scale to 2.28 mm.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Tthe blocks sizes can be determined from the tackle circumferences.   For example, the circumference for the tackle for a 32 pounder, based on the mid 18th century Naval Regulations was 3".   For the smaller guns they were 2" to 2.5" circumference.   The lengths varied slightly and are also given.   For the 32 pounders the tackles were 60 feet long.  For 18 pounders as a comparison they were 54 feet long. 

Using Lees formula for calculating the lengths of the blocks on page 164 of The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, the block sizes would be as follows. 

For 3" circumference rope for 32 pounders

3/3.14= .96

0.96X1.1X1.0625 =~9"  at your scale .09"X25.4 = 2.3mm long

For the  2.5" circumference rope for 28 pounders  

2.5/3.14= .8"

0.8"X1.1X1.0625X8 = ~7.5" /100 = .075X25.4 = 2mm

For single blocks for 2" circumference rope for the 12 pounders  the blocks would be 1.5mm long at your scale.

While the blocks would vary in size for the size of the gun, keep in mind that with the exception of the 32 pounders, for the running out tackles there would be only single blocks used.  For the 32 pounders there would be one single and one double block for each tackle.   Caruana goes into this on page 386 in volume II of The History of English Sea Ordnance.   Same holds true for the training tackle.  We often see incorrect blocks on models where one or two doubles are mistakenly used on guns smaller than 32 pounders.    

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Been research and can't seem to find much. The blocks om the lower deck seem to be one single block and one double block for the 32 pounders and for the 24 pounders looks like 2 single blocks am i correct. I need to know so I can order a bunch of 2mm blocks.

Edited by JEFFRAV
Wrote the wrong thing.