A little ripper from Veretas

My Veritas Miniature low angle  Block Plan arrived yesterday and it is a little ripper - I wasn't sure just how practicable it was going to be but a few trial strokes on some swiss pear straight out of the box convinced me, with shavings peeling away with little effort. I don't have small hands yet it was a natural fit into the mitt - so to speak - can see plenty of use for this and wasn't at all expensive costing me just $79au. Well worth the price of admission.

Cheers Pete 

PS If you buy one don't throw the little cardboard square out - It is, quoting the instructions "a corrosion inhibiting chip offering continuous corrosion protection for up to two years" 

20221130_210627.jpg

20221201_120716.jpg

I purchased these miniature planes and they just arrived yesterday. Thank you for the tip on the small cardboard squares!!! I totally missed that little detail and had thrown them out. They now have been safely rescued from the trash. Looking forward to making use of them.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

1 minute ago, druxey said:

Tip: don't rest the plane on its sole, but always on its side. The blade will stay sharper longer.

Treat Druxey's advice as a rule. It really does make a difference. 

I got the same plane a month ago and and am still smiling. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

PeteB,

Now that you have a high-quality plane, you may want to consider investing in a set-up for keeping your blades ultra-sharp. Here is what I use (photo from my Build Log here re: HMS Sphinx): a sharpening guide (for proper blade angle), stone, and rubbing pumice/leather strop. This is also referred to as a "waterless" sharpening approach which woks just fine for the type of wood planing we do in this hobby.

CAMSparsPrep01.jpg.7342e1c2b558e121c94baa0fa8423de5.thumb.jpg.552014d66780647c75cd482311613fb8.jpg

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

59 minutes ago, druxey said:

Nice set-up, Ron. Whose sharpening guide is this?

The guide is a $15 one, probably Chinese. A little fiddly to set up the blade but it works a treat. The blade angle is spot-on. The secret sauce on my sharpening rig is the two-sided grit "diamond stone" that comes with an ingenious holder(heavy and thick-footed, no-slip rubber base); this also comes from China, I think. No slippage. Less costly than it looks. 

I thought about Veritas ($) but I'm only using this set-up for my Ibex finger planes, no chisels.

Edited by hollowneck
correction text

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren