Royal Caroline by boatgeek - Panart

Right, I am re-posting the build I am currently undertaking of the Royal Caroline from Panart. This is a strictly kit build, no modifications.

I started on this build just after Christmas 2005 and I have had a couple of Hiatus periods between then and now. I am working on deck work and the ornamentation on the hull. It is time consuming and very difficult. The biggest criticisms of the kit that I have are the cut plywood pieces over the windows. It neccessitates cuttling a circle in half, trimming off some little pieces and getting them to look good. Not easy.

Overall though I like the kit, italian translations to hand make mantua / sergal / panart kits much easier.

Anyroad, I have attached some pictures and will update as I go. post-6299-0-62889200-1377282871_thumb.jpgpost-6299-0-53349900-1377282880_thumb.jpgpost-6299-0-10370000-1377282889_thumb.jpg

Hi Boatgeek, she's looking good so far, I lookforward to viewing your future build logs.

Best Wishes

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Beautiful looking model!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Finally got some time to do some work. Applied the decorations to the bow. I have noticed that the brass castings that I applied years ago have tarnished as I failed to coat them at the time. I need to polish them up before I go too much further. I am not impressed with the way the kit calls for shaping parts out of plywood, it wouldn't have been hard to add a little real wood, however, when I started this build I didn't have the confidence to source other materials. When I move on to something else I will correct issues like that as I go.

I haven't finsished the rubbing strakes yet, I still have treenails to add and sanding to do.

post-6299-0-30050600-1377427526_thumb.jpg

Edited by boatgeek

Tonight I decided to work on some parts that I was really not looking forward to doing. The nature of kit means that these bits are very fiddly and, in my opinion, hard to make look good.

post-6299-0-15167600-1377460000_thumb.jpg

The bottom of the doors is made from 2mm wide ply which doesn't fit the opening very well and will mean the frame will need to be fitted to support it.

post-6299-0-58720300-1377459988_thumb.jpg

Working on one of the windows. At least there is some play with the plastic 'window glass'. The sides and base of the frame are being sanded flush with the planking. I tend to use grits 240 - 600 paper and then 0000 wire wool to lift the dust from the grain and leave a nice sheen.

post-6299-0-40784900-1377459977_thumb.jpg

After this I need to split more plywood rings to complete the tops of the window frames.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm also building this kit. I started it as a first-timer a year ago. It was an interim project (I usually model injection kits), and in my first foray completed the hull and decks, internal planking and parapets. I've come back to it now 10 months later to begin small-cut and decorative work.

I too have found it hard, but wasn't sure if it was down to my inexperience entirely. While the Panart English booklet is helpful, I'm still left scratching my head over some of the diagrams, as they are sequential only up to a point, and it's not always clear which parts should be made up first, to avoid reaching across finished work later to install other parts (a little spoiled by injection-build instructions, I admit). I work with the simplest tools - no lathe, jig, or other, so I guess I put myself at a disadvatage to start with.

I've just spent two hours with a file clearing excess brass-pouring from a piece of fretwork for the hull/bow.

The photo here was taken a couple of days ago, just before I set to work again, to remind me of the starting point this time (model shipwrights, look away now!).

As you can see, I prefer colour and a range of wood tones, but that's a personal preference. 

Good luck on your build.

post-8082-0-90505200-1384424626_thumb.jpg

Great looking work here

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy