Elements-Practice-Rigging-Seamanship by David Steel

Hello all and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

I came across a paperback copy of this book and although it is second hand I thought it a reasonable price . I am already a proud owner of james Lees book 'The masting and Rigging of English ships of war' Which I have found exceptional, very informative and I am trying to follow as closely as my skills will allow. However I  have found there are a few areas where it lacks diagrams and therefore clarity.  So do I need another book on rigging bearing in mind I have a number of other books such as Monfeld,Pertersson and Anderson all on the subjects of Rigginng I have heard excellent reports on David Steels book but I am also unsure whether or not a paper back , second hand book is the way forward.

I look forward to your comments, including your thoughts on David Steels book and how it compares to James Lees book. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

The paperback versions of Steel are mostly "print on demand".  The size is much reduced. Still useful, but not as legible as one might hope.  The web version noted above is good, and I think there is a downloadable pdf out there somewhere.  I use all the above (plus Lee's, Biddlecomb, Lever and others, depending on the subject and the issue).

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Dave,

You won’t get rigging diagrams from Steel, think of it more as a Specification than a diagrammatical work, and paperback / online versions will give you all the tables for masting and rigging anyway, although, beware there were several dated issues reflecting the evolving standards from 1794 onwards.

The full work has 95 plates, but many are on ship type, naval tactics and sailmaking.  You will get a better idea at https://simcomfort.co.uk/rigging.htm, but you would need deep pockets for this full reprint at £475!  However, the quality is excellent.

Gary

Thanks guys for the quick responses. As it is mainly drawings that I am after ' A picture paints a thousand words as they say' I am very much satisfied with James Lees book especially for mast and rigging sizes and try to use this reference as much as possible. So think I will give the paperback book version of Steels a miss and possibly take a look at the online version instead .Using the resources I currently have ,including the blogs on this forum , I am finding  just one or two items which appear to be interpreted in different ways. I am currently building the Endeavour but do not own the Anatomy of the the ship book  so I unable to use this to see if there is any clatification. Although I understand this book maybe wrong anyway. 

I see there are a number of other books mentioned such as by Lever and Biddlecomb so will take a look at these too and see if there are any deals I can find. Once again thank you for your time and patience. Best regards Dave

20 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Hi Dave,

I use Steel all the time, especially the tables that give the masting and rigging sizes, item by item, for all classes of ships.

Kits tend to oversize the masting and yards, and provide insufficient rigging sizes.

There is an online version.

The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship (maritime.org)

B.E.

Thank you BE for the link to the on line book of The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship. I have had a quick look and maybe of good use to compare the sizes with Lees book .You have also saved me a bit of money which is always a plus. Best regards Dave

4 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

I own both books.  Unlike Lees’ book, Steel includes information about rigging smaller vessels; brigs, cutters, etc.  it even includes a little information about rigging ships boats.

Roger

That sounds like something which would come in really handy, especially the section on smaller ships. Thanks again for your input Roger it is very much appreciated. Best regards Dave