Lower yard constuction

Until recently I have never seen a yard constructed of multiple pieces.  The contemporary plan, figure #1,  below has scarphed end pieces rather than a yard made of a single piece.  It is from a British 74 gun ship of 1779.1901743532_74_GUN_SHIP_1779MAINYARDRMG_J7798.thumb.png.4bc308c4381a2c73d437623b2857beda.png  Does anyone know of other instances where this might have been common practice?  At most common scales this would be visible but I have yet to see it on a contemporary or modern day model.   I realize it is probably not of much importance for our scales, but I am curious about this.  It is almost as if the legend on the left is mislabled  as it calls it a main yard of 22 5/8" diameter

TIA

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Good Morning Allan;

There are other examples from this period of made yards for 74 gun ships and larger. Some are made by splicing on a piece at one end only; others by joining in the middle in the same manner as deck beams were scarphed, with tabled joints; and others as per your example above, with both ends spliced. The dimensions for a main yard at this period does seem to have been 22 5/8" diameter, with a length of 95'. 

As has been discussed for masts previously, this is quite probably related to the loss of the American colonies, leading to a shortage in the supply of longer trees previously used for yards. However, made masts go back long prior to this period of time, so they were certainly nothing new. I have no information about yards, though, and when they were first made in more than one piece for large square sails. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks Mark,

Now we have another challenge in our model making if we so choose, made spars to go with more commonly seen made masts.  I doubt more than a small few will do this, but it would be interesting to see how they would make them at our scales and how well they turn out.

Allan  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Is it something like this?

898607051_MastYardsfor60and100gunshipsRMGJ7660.thumb.png.6019d5ec7871ef4aa521f170362227a9.png

Other examples are on the RMG collections with a search of Main Yard 

Hope this helps.

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

There are drawings of masts and spars from RMG in high resolution on the Wiki Commons site.

Allan

The Danish Museum has a contemporary copy of the drawing Bob shows in post #5, ref = D204. data.ashx?bid=39522342 The hi-res version is available using the 'save' option in the header above the picture on their site.

I am certain I remember another couple of examples there, still browsing.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

data.ashx?bid=39522362

D232 above, an unidentified yard. There is no information in the index but it is amongst other drawings of masts and tops from 18th c warships.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold