Phoenix by Christership - Master Korabel - 1:72

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of MK's planking philosophy. Spiling is wonderful for those who enjoy it, but I'm not one of those people, so I appreciate pre-spiled planking.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with ccoyle - MK's planking is a stroke of genius, especially for less experienced modellers.  Phoenix is my second model and I salute you for posting a log, they must be a lot of work and I admit I haven't posted one.  Moreplovac has posted,  an excellent log on MSW so well worth consulting.

I have been working on my Phoenix for 14 months now and I've just got to the end of the hull work, pretty much the end of the colour instruction manual, and I have just started on the masts and spars, I think it will be another year before I finish - so for me, a two year project and I guess I average an hour or maybe two daily.  I'll post you a picture so you can see where I've got to.

As a novice like you,  Phoenix has taught me two lessons.  First, learn to be endlessly patient.  If you have to do something three times over and it takes an hour, or more, so be it - find your inner Zen!  (and a load of good music through the headphones).  Impatience is always punished.

Second, read the instructions very, very carefully.  On the whole the translation into English is very good and there are many quite subtle hints, critical details and tips that can be overlooked.  I tick off each line of the manual as I go, to help me not jump over anything.

Finally there is a set of really good Russian videos on contructing this kit-  have you found them on YouTube?

If you need any help don't hesitate to ask, I might be able to help - all the best, Jim

1 hour ago, Jimnclare said:

Second, read the instructions very, very carefully.  On the whole the translation into English is very good and there are many quite subtle hints, critical details and tips that can be overlooked.

I concur with this assessment. Much the same applied to my build of MK's cannon yawl (likewise an excellent kit). I do wish that some foreign manufacturers would have a native English speaker give their instructions the once-over before sending them to print, but them's the breaks.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

On 2/17/2023 at 7:37 PM, Jimnclare said:

I agree with ccoyle - MK's planking is a stroke of genius, especially for less experienced modellers.  Phoenix is my second model and I salute you for posting a log, they must be a lot of work and I admit I haven't posted one.  Moreplovac has posted,  an excellent log on MSW so well worth consulting.

I have been working on my Phoenix for 14 months now and I've just got to the end of the hull work, pretty much the end of the colour instruction manual, and I have just started on the masts and spars, I think it will be another year before I finish - so for me, a two year project and I guess I average an hour or maybe two daily.  I'll post you a picture so you can see where I've got to.

As a novice like you,  Phoenix has taught me two lessons.  First, learn to be endlessly patient.  If you have to do something three times over and it takes an hour, or more, so be it - find your inner Zen!  (and a load of good music through the headphones).  Impatience is always punished.

Second, read the instructions very, very carefully.  On the whole the translation into English is very good and there are many quite subtle hints, critical details and tips that can be overlooked.  I tick off each line of the manual as I go, to help me not jump over anything.

Finally there is a set of really good Russian videos on contructing this kit-  have you found them on YouTube?

If you need any help don't hesitate to ask, I might be able to help - all the best, Jim

Hello!  Thanks for your advice.  Also believe that patience is the best quality in model building.  I have come further than the last post shows.  Haven't updated in a long time.  I will do an update soon.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jimnclare said:

Forgive me for 'hijacking' your log

Jim, may I suggest starting a new log? I know we have members, including myself, who would like to follow along on your project.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 minute ago, Jimnclare said:

You're right, I should set up my own log, so thanks for the nudge!

I might have an ulterior motive for having an abundance of logs to peruse for this particular kit. 😏

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco