Grand Banks Dory Oar Specifications, 1851-1900

Go to solution Solved by Keith Black,

Building Bluejacket's Grand Banks Dory, I've searched with no luck for the specifications with regard to typical oar construction. I would like to scratch build them, and have already made one from Acacia wood, which is very dark. The print lays out the size, and I have read through research they were usually made of clear pine or fir. Was oak ever used for oars? Thinking about it, oak oars would be very heavy so I don't think oak was used, but that's just my thought. The kit also calls for one set but I'm seeing photos with two in the Dory. One extra set as backup for a single occupant and two for 2 occupants? Thanks, Tim

Acaia Wood.jpg

Edited by East Ender
spelling

Tim Lent

• Solution

The oar looks great and if it looks a little dark it's due to weathering. :) 

Like Keith says, it's already weathered! Perhaps some additional weathering where the oars meet the boat and where hands grip the oars. Wefalk mentions grain,so another option would be to use Holly, which has very small grain.  I have a log pile outside full of small Holly logs, aged for about two years, which I'm going to try and rip on the table saw, if it ever stops raining here in Virginia. If that works, I'll have a never ending supply of that species. Thanks Tim

Tim Lent

Ash would weather grey, or at least our cutter sweeps did.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

2 hours ago, AON said:

Ash would weather grey

Work with me on this, Alan. Tim did such a fine job making the one oar, I'm trying to suggest to him in a subtle way to make one more just like the first one and move on. Tim, use any excuse necessary to keep from redoing nice work.  

Thanks Alan and Keith, I appreciate the input! I'm going to make the 2nd oar the same as the first and also make 2 more with Holly or basswood to simulate weathered ash. Also going to wrap some thin cut leather around each as shown on photos.  Getting back to work after a long weekend near the Blueridge Mts.   Tim

Tim Lent