How do I tell what size scale rope should be used?

Go to solution Solved by allanyed,

I know there are some great offerings for scale rope, but how do I know what size rope or cables to order for any scale ship model ?  I have bought a few scale model rigging books but I haven’t seen or found any table of information regarding scale rope sizes! I’m just looking for any advice on this matter. 
Thank you! 

The size of your scale rope would depend on the scale of your model.

If the actual rope was  4 inches in circumference, you would divide that by the scale of your model.

There are any number of references for actual sizes.  I have Lees masting and rigging, which may or may not be more than you want to spend.

Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models has some tables, but I understand there is a calculation error that you have to account for.

While most rigging size tables deal with circumference, it might be easier to work with diameter, which is circumference divided by 3.14.

A 4 inch circumference rope would be  1.27 inch diameter.   This would scale to about .02 inches at 1:64 scale.

An anchor cable could be 22in.  This would scale to .109 inches at 1:64.

The smaller the rope the harder it might be to get a precise scale.  Ratlines at 1: 64 would be no bigger than some common sewing thread.

This is where you go for something that looks good proportion wise.  

I'm sure other members will have something to offer.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• Solution

Joe,

There is a spread sheet prepared by the late Danny Vadas for British ships that will give you the sizes of masts, spars, standing and running rigging for every line in the Articles database here at MSW .  It is based on the ratios in the James Lees' book The Masting and Rigging mentioned by Gregory in his post above.  One exception, do NOT use it for the period 1670 through 1710 as the base formula Danny came up with for that period is completely wrong so all dimensions that result from your initial input will be incorrect. Other periods are identical to those in Lees' book.  Go to https://thenrg.org/resource/articles and scroll down to rigging articles.

Allan 

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU