1/48 3 ball with capping rail stanchions

Does anyone know where I can buy stanchions of this type?, I have searched and searched online but not found anything suitable for this scale
I need 130 of these in the dimensions of 23mm deck to rail with 3 balls bored for .5 mm wire.

Main stanchions .8 mm optimally, with 1.4 mm dia balls.

It seems this scenario has been completely left out of most catalogues.

I am considering making these out of half round brass wire and doubling them over and pressing them between a steel press to form the balls.
Anyone tried this?

The height can't be altered as they carry on from Bulwarks.

stanchions.JPG.747afe31227f8f463113a736d347b555.JPG

I can't help you with a source for these. But I think I have seen something similar from a British company.

I have seen similar stanchions made up from two (0.07 mm) or three (0.5 mm) layers of photo etch brass soldered together. With multi-layer etching the layers could be formed with beveled sides and solder could fill the "jaggies." After they are soldered they could be rounded with a file in a lathe or drill.

Pressing in a mold to form the round balls would close the holes.

Drilling 0.5 mm (0.020 inch) holes in round things can be tricky. Small bits are flexible and can wander. However, with the holes etched in the parts the drills should run true to clear out any solder that flowed into them.

Edited by Dr PR

There was a post on the same thing with several good replies a couple weeks ago.  You should be able find the string with the search tool or someone might remember where it was and add a link for you.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks for the replies guys.
I had searched for articles before posting but Stanchions does not find that much so thought I would ask.
I think the article on Okesa might be the closest to my needs as I can find .
I like the photoetch idea as well but think it's potentially too much clean-up.

I am going to try the technique in the Okesa build, shame the images are not big enough to see but anyway, going to solder the rail and stanchions in a jig after making half depth slots in the stanchions and then making a jig to grind half a 1.5mm plastic ball off and another jig to cut a cross on its flat face and glue 2 of those over each joint to form the ball using these.

making the half balls is really the only hard part

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002261984898.html

Edited by Richard Dunn

Hi Richard, like Allen I remembered someone asking about stanchions. So after a search I found that on March 23, Keith Black suggested to Bobcat1970 to go to Cornwall Model Boats. They have a very good selection of stanchions. 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

8 minutes ago, Paul Le Wol said:

Hi Richard, like Allen I remembered someone asking about stanchions. So after a search I found that on March 23, Keith Black suggested to Bobcat1970 to go to Cornwall Model Boats. They have a very good selection of stanchions. 

Yes they do but as I pointed out in the first post  earlier, nobody does 4 ball or 3 ball with wood top rails Stanchions. and the 2 I have found are not in the right size.
I have looked all day and am hoping to see if someone has a niche market making them or something like that that is not mainstream.

5 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Can you find brass or silver Spherical beads that you could solder at the correct spacing on a piece of brass rod?  You could then make a drilling jig to guide a drill for cross drilling.  

Yes but why struggle with drilling metal when is painted anyway?.. Plastic would be far easier on pin drills.