A Safety Mask that checks if the face seal is leaking

I recommend a safety mask I use when sanding wood because it allows you to check for leaks in the seal around your nose and mouth.

Leakage here is a potential safety hazard that can be overlooked, and I’ve sometimes found when I make a (very quick) pre-start check using the PressToCheck system that unfiltered air is leaking into my mask.

A minor adjustment on the face fit and another check by pressing on both filters can confirm that I have an air-tight face seal.

They make three grades of filter for different levels of protection and they sell a half mask and full face mask that are compatible.

1. P3 (F-4003), Solid + Liquid Particles
2. A2P3 (F-4123), Organic Vapours + Gases with boiling points greater than 650C Solid + Liquid Particles
3. ABEK1P3 (F-4713) Organic / Inorganic/Acidic Ammonia Vapours and Gases plus Solid and Liquid Particulates

Here is the tech spec:
TS-PressToCheck_V4 Tech Spec.pdf

And here's a video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9pkW5IaluM

JSPForce8Half-MaskwithPressToCheck.png.958981d84c9a3ff9c49221a35af17f06.png

Edited by Steve20

Steve, you are so right about this overlooked protection.
But I think for our hobby that is an "over-kill".
I am using a N95 surgical respirator mask here in the USA for protection of particles and dust.

For painting with non-acrylic paint I do see a use for such. But that doesn't happen anymore.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hazardous dust is the same whether you breath it in your hobby or at your work. The air filtration on the above mask is good, but equally important to me is knowing that nothing is slipping in through the face seal. This has happened to me, and others, at work (oil & gas construction) and I only noticed it when small particles got into my mouth, which happened more than once. Very small dust particles getting into the lungs would not be noticed.

I’m not saying this is a common occurrence, but real-world situations (which includes those at home) can cause a reduction in face seal integrity, therefore, I like having a mask where I can check on this. The reason I posted this here was just to let people know about another product that they can throw into the pot when making their buying decision.

Edited by Steve20

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree with Steve here, why take a risk when you can have a simple solution. I bought a 3M A2P3 (this one here) mainly for airbrushing but then ended up using it even when gluing on my plastic kits. I can wear it for 2-3 hours straight without any major discomfort and - the main criteria for choosing this particular model - I can wear my glasses without fogging them up. I don't do that much modelling lately so one set lasts for about two years.  I tend to replace it when the white filter mesh on the outside it getting dirty.

Even if the paints say "water based" which might make them sound less dangerous you still don't want those particles in your lungs when airbrushing. My motto here is "if you can smell it, it might end up in your lungs". For me, the small discomfort of wearing a mask is worth making sure I eliminate one possible hazard (there is enough left in other areas of life). But we had very similar discussions in the past 3 years ;)

Edited by Macika

The other way to overcome the 'leakage' issue (if it is a concern to you) is to use overpressure.  That is a mask with a powered inflow that creates an overpressure which keeps any of the nasties getting in if the seal is not tight.  I have a battery powered one (the battery container clips to your belt (or the like) and causes very little drain on the batteries.  I got this pretty cheap (same price as paying for a good quality unpowered mask) a few years ago.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

A quick check on your seal is to put your mask on, cinch down any and all straps and inhale. If the mask collapses, it's sealed. And monitor your breathing while working. If you see moisture inside the mask, you may have a bad seal, especially around your nose. We exhale CO2 and water vapor. I do like Pat's mask that puts a positive pressure inside the mask. The chem gear we used when flying did that. We carried small fan units to over pressurize our systems. Most of it was a firefighter's SCBA gear, routed thru a chemical filter.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild