Bowdoin BOOMS and Gaffs

Hello I need some guidence how to construct the booms and gaffs. The directions are not really all that detailed in Blue Jacket.

Shound i make a template? the question is how  big and what would be the measurements.  Seems I will scratch build these?

Thank goodness for Model Ship World.

I love the ship its going to be nice when finished.

Thank you, Nick

IMG_2195 (1).jpg

Hi Nick,

It may help get you answers if you can say which vessel/nationality/year this is supposed to be.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Nick, 

You are correct, she is a beautiful model. Unfortunately, some of the building details are left to the builders. 

No templates here…

Below is a link to my build log, I covered the details pretty well. Maybe it will be of some help.  You might call the boom and gaff yokes hand carved. 😎

IMG_1722.thumb.jpeg.2482dd3a0b7ee56f666e0d969561e4e4.jpeg

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

4 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Chapelle’s American Fishing Schooners.  

I second this recommendation!   You will find a lot of great information on how things were actually done which, based on the photo in post #4, may differ from the conventions used in the kit at times.   Your call on how you move forward, but at least you may have choices in some cases.  There are some great photos and drawings of Ernestina that might help as well.  These can be found with a quick search in the Library of Congress Website.  https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ma1719.sheet?st=gallery

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Not sure, where the problem is here. It seems to be pretty bog standard later 19th century construction.

One just has to sand flat/taper the gaff/boom at the end to provide a seat for the jaws. Glue suitable pieces of wood to either side and then round out according to the large diametre of the mast. Finally shape the outside of the jaws. Drill the required holes and make the small 'clapper' piece.

On the real thing there would have been either three bolts going horizontally through the jaws and the boom/gaff (one would also serve as pivot for the clapper piece) or there would be three bands around the assemblage.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg