I've done a little Dave, using spirit based stains (dyes,tints). I've also used the stain on it's own but diluted with denatured alcohol.

There are only two three types of wood in my Bounty Launch, the knees are basswood, the thwarts footwaleing cap rails and windlass are Tasmanian Oak and the rest (including the quarterdeck) is Paulownia:

IMGP0956ts.JPG

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Thanks!

Will be starting a new build soon and contemplating using dyed shellac rather than different types (colors) of wood or paint. My thoughts are to use the same type of wood throughout and doing tinted shellac test colors with that wood before I begin.

Going to have to learn alot about shellac, universal tints and how to mix them.

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

All you really need to know about shellac is that it is an organic resinous material that dries hard and is soluble in alcohol. It comes in a range of shades from clear ("white shellac,") which is bleached, and shades of orange through dark brown. It is most easily bought premixed in pint or quart cans. It can be thinned as needed. Mixed shellac is designated by the "cut" expressed in pounds, that being one pound of shellac flakes to one gallon of alcohol is a  '"one pound cut." It's safe and easy to use. Out of the can, it is the consistency of water and will soak into bare wood as water would and dry with a flat finish. Additional coats will build in thickness and yield a glossy finish which can be hand-rubbed down with fine sandpaper, steel wool, or a Scotch-brite pad to knock the gloss off.

Any alcohol-soluble dye, stain, or coloring can be added to shellac. Given that alcohol mixes well with water, I'd expect even water colors might work to color the alcohol. To give you an idea of how shellac behaves with coloring additives, India ink is simply thin shellac with lamp black or some other black pigment added. 

If I were you, I'd experiment before putting colored shellac on a finished model, of course, but I'd also consider applying a stain or dye to the bare wood first and then to apply clear shellac over it, rather than trying to get the color into the shellac first.

1 hour ago, CPDDET said:

Going to have to learn alot about shellac, universal tints and how to mix them.

One thing to be aware of is how much shine you want, one coat of shellac can give you a low sheen finish but if you keep adding layers to get a darker colour it's going to get very shiny. So a few different diluted stains and tinted shellacs will give you the best control.

Edit: Bob's got it, listen to him.

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts