US-based sources for Artesania Latina tools?

Hi All,

I know about Ages of Sail, but they have a subset of AL tools only.  I am keenly interested in this one:  Micro Riveting Tool.  It might be too new for AoS to be carrying it yet.  Wondering if anyone knows of other vendors in the US for their tools.  It's $25 shipping from AL and otherwise I'm seeing only UK and Euro vendors in my Googles.  

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Are you planning to use this for copper sheathing?   If that is the case, keep in mind that the sheathing never had rivets, but rather 1/4" nails with about 0.5" heads spaced a couple inches apart.  Depending on your scale, these will be from near invisible to the tiniest of dents.  They should never stick out as seen in some modern models.  Look at the copper sheathing from Vanguard and newest ones from Amati that Dave posted in his log.https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34080-hms-diana-1794-by-davebaxt-caldercraft-164/page/5/  post #127, third photo down.  

Hopefully the following sketch will help.  If you are referring to your current build of the USF Essex 1:76 scale, the dimensions show full scale and 1:76  

Allan

Coppersheathing1to76scale.PNG.71f3ae3ed5b4a70facbae422f997174f.PNG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

@allanyed, I feel like this tool I've linked is sort of misnamed.  As long as you use it as prescribed (from the front of the tape), it does indeed make depressions in the correct direction, not like rivets.  Much like using a pounce wheel.  Basically this thing is several pounce wheels on a shaft with some bars interspersed to make the "seam" lines.  

Rick

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

Hi Rick

Sounds like it should do the trick for you.  Please post pics of the end results.   I looked at the Excel pounce wheels on Amazon and the small (1/4") wheel does 24 points per inch so really close to the spacing for your scale on the one long and one short row at the two outer edges and the larger wheels look good for the punch marks in the center row.  They quote a 2 day delivery so really good.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

40 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Hi Rick

Sounds like it should do the trick for you.  Please post pics of the end results.   I looked at the Excel pounce wheels on Amazon and the small (1/4") wheel does 24 points per inch so really close to the spacing for your scale on the one long and one short row at the two outer edges and the larger wheels look good for the punch marks in the center row.  They quote a 2 day delivery so really good.

Allan

Yeah, I have those and they really work well.  Pretty labor intensive for a full size hull, so I'm thinking this tool would help preserve my sanity a little bit.  

Rick

Try this website, yes they are focused on plastic model, but as for tools very handy for us as well.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

31 minutes ago, Canute said:

They also supply tools for working with PE.

But nothing from Artesania Latina, unfortunately.

Rick