1:12 scale landing craft [plans]

Here's a starting point for you.

You would have to scale these up and print them to the proper dimension to use as a reference. 

Higgins LCVP Plan.JPG

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Charles Robert’s book that Al posted above is great.  Also, there is a series of articles in several past issues of the Nautical Research Journal documenting the restoration of an LCVP.  These articles include original BuShips drawings used to restore the boat.  This includes a hull lines drawing.  The actual hull shape is more complex than it appears from most photos.  You can find ordering information for past articles by first using the Guild’s online index and then calling the Guild’s office.

Roger

You can do a quick bit of research by Googling Higgins boats and go to images for lots of plans then download and save whichever ones you want.  Not sure which ones you want though, the LCVP or some others as they built a number of vessels at their yards with the 20,000 workers employed there during WWII 

Insert into your CAD program and scale to whatever you need or save on a flash drive and take it to a local print shop.   DOUBLE CHECK  the measurements when they print as half the time I have found them to be slightly out of scale.  An engineering printing company is your best best as they seem to always get it right.    The pic at the following address can be opened in high res if you click on the original file bottom left of the drawing.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/LCVP_Landing_Craft-_Inboard_Profile_and_Construction_Plan_-_NARA_-_78116787.jpg

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

My favorite “Higgins Boat” is the LCP(L) and it’s sister the LCPR.  The Franklin D. Roosevelt Library has a set of Higgins Boat models and the LCP(L) makes a surprisingly attractive model.  The LCP(L) was Higgins’ original adaptation of his Louisiana Bayou  Eureka workboat into a landing craft.  These boats landed Marines at Guadalcanal and soldiers during the Torch landings.  The LCPR was a LCP(L) modified to add a narrow front ramp these were used by Navy UDT teams throughout WWII.  The LCVP utilized the LCP(L) after body hull lines but added a new fore end to provide a full width bow ramp.

An LCP(L) is on my ship modeling bucket list.  It would be a surprisingly difficult model as the scantlings are quite small.

There is a restored LST (LST 325 in Evansville, Indiana where many were built.  They have several LCVPs, all the later fiberglass construction.  They have a number of original LCVP drawings on their website.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

The Joyner LIbrary at East Carolina University has the full collection of plans from the Barbour Boat Works. They made just about every type of small boat used by the Navy during and after WWII, including several types of landing craft, and some not so small (destroyers).

https://librarycatalog.ecu.edu/catalog/918210

http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0758/

Box 42 has the plans for the LCVP. You can order them online. I have several digitized plans I got from the Joyner Library and they are excellent copies of the original blueprints.

some links to items i have found (don't believe they have been mentioned above) & might be helpful to others:

Higgins Boat LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel) (militaryfactory.com)

LCVP Higgins Boat (robertsarmory.com)

LCVP (United States) - Wikipedia    - embarrassingly i never think to check wikipedia even though most of my searches end up there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Many thanks to Al Ross for posting the LCS(S) plans.

Quite a while back I located some LCP(L) plans on offer on eBay, but the seller wanted a stupid high price so I didn't buy them. However, I did download the images that the seller had included in the listing. The plans are not complete, but should be sufficient when augmented by Al Ross's plans. I'm making two posts, one for each sheet of plans.

The first sheet includes most of the lines and drawing and the table of offsets.

Original-Blueprints-LCP-Landing-Craft-Personnel-Normandy-D-Day (1).jpg

Original-Blueprints-LCP-Landing-Craft-Personnel-Normandy-D-Day-_57 (3).jpg

Original-Blueprints-LCP-Landing-Craft-Personnel-Normandy-D-Day-_57 (1).jpg

Original-Blueprints-LCP-Landing-Craft-Personnel-Normandy-D-Day-_57.jpg

Original-Blueprints-LCP-Landing-Craft-Personnel-Normandy-D-Day-_57 (2).jpg

Edited by prmitch

Paul

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Co-Webmaster, NRG Website

Developer of NRG and Seaways Publishing back issue digital archives

Paul Fontenoy published a two-part article about restoring an LCVP in volume 54 of the Guild's Nautical Research Journal. The article includes many informative drawings (including lines and offsets) and photos.

• Restoring a Landing Craft, Vehicle and Personnel, Part 1, 1/21
  • Restoring a Landing Craft, Vehicle and Personnel, Part 2, 2/97

Paul

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Co-Webmaster, NRG Website

Developer of NRG and Seaways Publishing back issue digital archives