Mamoli Metal Fittings Oxidation

I just found an old Mamoli Friesland kit on Ebay which I was able to acquire for a very good price BUT...

some of the metal fittings seem to have a considerable amount of oxidation on their surfaces.

The kit (based on the box art) is likely from the late 1970s or early 1980s.

I presume the metal fittings in questions are lead alloys.

My questions is how can I return the fitting to a proper state in order to use on the model and secondly, how can I treat the fitting so they don't degrade in the future?

Please see the attached pictures and thank-you for any and all responses in advance!

Capture.JPG

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

After some research, and also reading the reference listed in the post just before me in the category Metal Fittings (perhaps should have read it first before my query on MSW), I found out that;

Wood releases acetic acid naturally and when in storage with lead fittings (as how Mamoli packaged their lead alloy fittings with wood), the lead alloy gets converted to lead acetate and additionally in the presence of CO2 (as in a sealed package without air exchange), the lead alloy gets converted to lead carbonate, which is the whitish deposit on the lead alloy fittings I pictured in my post above.

My solution for cleanup was a 1:1 solution of household vinegar with water and some salt and with a tooth brush, brushing the deposits off with a thorough rinse of water, following of which is the results pictured below. The surface is marred but at least the fitting is still usable.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

It is probably "fitting" to change my topic from Mamoli Metal Fitting Oxidation to Mamoli Metal Fitting Degradation now that I know what the issue is/was...

Lesson learned; Take your lead alloy fittings out of their plastic storage bags as soon as possible (in the old vintage kits).

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

When viewed from a wider focus,  this can be understood as being a message and a warning.  Parts that degrade in the box are really telling you that they are inappropriate to use - period.

Use them as templates.  Replicate them using materials that will last over time.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

When I was a child, a friend and I enjoyed playing with “Britain’s” lead toy soldiers.  At $2.00 per box, they were unimaginably expensive but they were right up there with Lionel trains, another luxury item, on my Christmas List.  When I outgrew them, my mother packed them carefully and saved them for me.  As an adult, from time to time I have enjoyed painting 54mm military figures, so I decided to unpack my Britain’s figures to add to my display.

Upon doing so, I discovered that the heads had separated from the bodies.  1950’s era Britains soldiers are  not properly proportioned in that they are much more slender than real people, particularly their necks.  My mother’s careful packing had restricted air circulation, and their necks had corroded.  Easily repaired with wire and a touch of Epoxy.

Roger