32 Pounder Blomefield George 3rd Cannon 3D printable STL. Full Size File thibaultron

In a thread I can't location now, there was a request for the correct size cannons for a cross section model. The consensus was that the ones supplied in the kit for the George the 3rd Blomefield 32 Pounder cannons were the wrong length.

I have been working on CADing the entire series of this type and bumped the 32 Pounder to the top of the list. Here is an STL file for the full sized cannon. You will have to rescale it for your needs. I have also included two graphics showing the final 3D design.

Blomefield Pattern 32 Pounder Full Size_3183_47mm.stl

BlomefieldPattern32Pounder_032Convertedtoinches_002A.thumb.jpg.6ed0b5bcf2101da710a479206187a4ad.jpg

BlomefieldPattern32Pounder_032Convertedtoinches_002B.thumb.jpg.40cfd98d7f024e9faec7b8ea37801449.jpg

• 2 months later...

BTW AFAIK the end of reinforce sight patch is a rather late modification to the pattern, probably c1830+, early examples of the Blomefield predate the wide adoption of sights, and only the topline (breech-ring and muzzle swell) were lightly marked with no disparting block or hausse. The sides of the breechring may have quarter degree marks which meet the top of the carriage cheek on some examples, but I don't have extensive dated examples to guess at when these marks were in use - presumably before 1830.

2 hours ago, myMADNESS78 said:
Hello, could you share the files of the 12 and 24 pounder Blomfield guns. I need them for my HMS Victory, 
but I don’t have the opportunity to do 3D modeling right now. If it's not hard for you. Thank you

What lengths.

7.5ft and 9ft (breech ring to muzzle face) 12pdrs and a 9.5ft 24pdr (overall length is roughly 2 calibres longer with the cascable and button).

The full suite of guns includes these common lengths...
32pdr 9.5ft
24pdr 9.5ft, 9ft
18pdr 9ft, 8ft
12pdr 9ft, 8.5ft, 7.5ft (land service iron (no breeching ring) 6ft)
9pdr 9ft, 8.5ft, 7.5ft, 7ft (land service iron 5.5ft)
6pdr 7ft, 6.5ft, 6ft (there are other theoretical lengths mostly longer, but the 6pdr was mostly deprecated by now)

The group of rebored guns include other lengths of these patterns which I've only ever seen as donors for rebore natures... as well as some more common types, but that is deep into the 1820s, 1830s and beyond. They externally look identical to the original pattern of smaller gun, but with a larger diameter bore to suit their new purpose.

21 minutes ago, Lieste said:

7.5ft and 9ft (breech ring to muzzle face) 12pdrs and a 9.5ft 24pdr (overall length is roughly 2 calibres longer with the cascable and button).

Exactly.  I just learned this in the past couple years and have now found that most aftermarket and kit guns are not only often the wrong pattern for a given era and nation but also the incorrect length.  This project from Ron will alleviate this situation for those that go with printed guns with the added advantage that printed guns are more detailed and can be purchased for MUCH lower prices.  I paid less than $1 each, including freight that last time I ordered 20 Commonwealth pattern barrels at 1:64 scale.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Though Victory is likely to be using many Armstrong or Armstrong Frederick pattern ordnance of the same lengths... I've not got a comprehensive list, but there were fewer new cast guns and older guns in store than the required numbers at the time of transition, and major older vessels tended to keep their gun sets through refits to a significant degree, with some exceptions and aside from changes to the establishment (e.g upgrades of 6pdrs to 12 pdrs, supplementation by carronades, variations in numbers of qtr deck guns, replacement of 12pdrs (and 9pdrs for smaller classes) qtr deck guns by 32pdr carronades on a broad scale in the very end of the Napoleonic period and into the 1820s, as well as when rating changed the 100 gun 1st rates to 2nd rates with 18pdr middle deck battery.

Morgan's chapter on armament is being pushed out in a few weeks and should answer these 'general' questions with specificity to Victory in 1805.

I've completed the Following Blomefield cannons

6 Pounder: Bore Length 84" Overall Length 94", BL 90 OVL 100.5", BL 102 OVL 113"

9 Pounder: BL 90" OVL 100.5", BL 102 OVL 113", BL 108" OVL 121"

12 Pounder: BL 90" OVL 100", BL 102: OVL 113", BL 108" OVL 119"

18 Pounder: BL 108" OVL 119", BL 114" OVL 125"

24 Pounder: BL 108" OVL 119", BL 114 OVL 125"

32 Pounder: BL 114" OVL 125"

I've also completed a large number of Armstrong Fredricks cannon, with more to follow. I will be redrawing my Armstrong cannons as the Muzzle area presently has too few facets to the cylinder for good prints in larger scales. These last two types will be gotten to after I finish the Spanish 1718 Pattern cannons I'm doing now. So the next couple months. I'm working with Allenyed to develop a database of these cannons.

3 hours ago, Lieste said:

Morgan's chapter on armament is being pushed out in a few weeks and should answer these 'general' questions with specificity to Victory in 1805.

I may even be able to tell you what pattern of gun went in which port where a deck had a mixed armament 😉 

I should finish the Spanish Cannons next week. Integrating all the fancy decorations takes some time.  With a break for Christmas, I should finish the other sizes of Fredricks by mid January. The Armstrongs will require creating a new Cypher so about 3 weeks after that.

• 2 months later...

I have a flat bottom bracket laser file for 12 lb track gun and standard truck frame file too. 
I think I can burn these down to about 1/4 inch long. 
Anyone needs a bunch, send me the wood, I’ll make them free. 

Bottom picture is 3d 9lb with unpainted sweeper. These brackets I ptinted in plastic and coated with Tamiya “red brown” paint. 
That breech line is going, cuz it’s *****. 

71606967-3DD9-4BB8-93F6-BBA46AE66136.jpeg

6EAFA0F0-B55B-4693-B986-A3BF832B00EE.jpeg

86BAC450-C63D-402B-AA7A-BA3581155A7B.jpeg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mediocremodeler said:

Bottom picture is 3d 9lb

Hi Mediocre

Welcome to MSW😀.  It would be great if you posted a little introduction about yourself in the new member forum here at MSW.

As this topic is about Blomefield pattern guns you may want to post your kind offer in a new topic as yours is something else and may attract a wider audience.  The barrel in the last photo looks very nicely done, but I cannot place the pattern it represents.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

49 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Hi Mediocre

Welcome to MSW😀.  It would be great if you posted a little introduction about yourself in the new member forum here at MSW.

As this topic is about Blomefield pattern guns you may want to post your kind offer in a new topic as yours is something else and may attract a wider audience.  The barrel in the last photo looks very nicely done, but I cannot place the pattern it represents.  

Allan

Thanks!

The barrel I did in Tinkercad. It is for my scratch built 1/18 “Gunboat Philadelphia”.