Sealing after coppering?

Morning boys and girls. I’m finishing up coppering the hull on my ModelShipways USS Constitution. First time coppering. I used the kit provided copper tape to cut the tiles from. Now that I’m nearly complete I’ve noticed that there are quite a few tiny corners that have lifted up through handling the hull. Not so many that it ruins the overall appearance and they are easily flattened back out. My question is for those of you who have used the copper tape, do you use something to spray on to seal it to prevent this? Many thanks.

Edited by BBrueck

Not sure what you try to do, to put some sort of thick coating onto the copper that kind of covers the edges? Not sure I would want to do that, because it would change the appearance of the crispiness of the edges - otherwise the effect would be neglible.

Otherwise, there several threads here that discuss the merits of preventing the copper from oxidising or otherwise.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Hi BBrueck,

when I had coppered my 5 Elbe pilot schooner recently I had made the tiles from copper sheet without self  adhesive gluefilm on the back. So the whole coppering was done with contact glue. So far so good, but in some minor places I had to slightly re-bend down some of the plate edges. In order to keep the edges flat and firm I put a coat of one-component-polyurethane varnish per paintbrush over the coppering. Should there be any crack like lift offs on the coppered hull, the polyurethan creeps into and seals them off. It cures out hard and transparent and keeps the edges down ever since

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50