Buccaneer by ToniSk - OcCre - 1:100 - first build

Hello, everybody.

I'm a first time ship builder starting out with the Buccaneer by Occre. So far, I'm really enjoying myself but have quickly come face to face with my lack of knowledge and experience about anything and everything relating to ships. The first planking is kicking my butt but I'm trying my hardest and not giving up. I do have a bit of experience building dollhouses and surprisingly that's been of great help to me so far. But, we'll see.

I've only taken a few pics so far but I'll share more as I move forward. If any of you spot obvious mistakes that I'm making or have any suggestions how I might do a better job, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading and thanks for having me!

Buccaneer1.jpg

Buccaneer2.jpg

Buccaneer3.jpg

Buccaneer4.jpg

Buccaneer5.jpg

Welcome! Looks like an interesting kit you're building.

Although I'm certainly not an expert, I notice that the bulkheads still have a lot of char on the edge. You'll have a smoother time planking, and will have a better gluing surface, if you fair them more with a flexible sanding stick. You can use a batten (thin, flexible wood strip) to test for fairness: holding it across several bulkheads, it should be in contact with all of them with no gaps, while flowing smoothly without lumps. You may want to check out the planking resources here: https://thenrg.org/resource/articles

For a double-planked hull, you can smooth out the first layer with a bit of putty (not too much, though) and sanding once you remove the nails.

How are you bending your planks?

Looking forward to following this build!

Thanks for the link and the suggestions, JC. I particularly like your tip for using a batten. That should help me out a lot. I'll give the bulkheads a better sanding as well.

Re: the wood putty, yes. I am trying to achieve an initially uniform surface without too many gaps but certainly counting on the putty to hide my mistakes. I'm hoping not to have to use much but prepared to hang my head in shame if I end up having to glop it on.

I opted for the soaking and ironing method to bend my planks. It seems to work pretty well and it didn't cost me any extra money. Yay.

I appreciate your input. Thank you!

Welcome aboard, Toni! I have tagged your log as a first build -- this lets members know that the builder might need that little extra bit of encouragement.

One bit of advice I would give is to avoid using the brass nails. If left in, they will make sanding an onerous chore, being harder than the surrounding wood. I use push pins (with drilled pilot holes) to temporarily tack first-layer planking in place.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

14 hours ago, JacquesCousteau said:

flexible sanding stick

Nail files can be found easier in some places and work well.

30 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

One bit of advice I would give is to avoid using the brass nails

I can sympathise with using them as only on my second kit. However the Occre ones (I did the Occre Polaris first), at least with the Occre wood stock are very coarse and hard to remove. The pins supplied by Vanguard (which I think are Amati pins?) are much finer and easily removed. Another tip I'd consider is to learn to use gel superglue as it's very useful.

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

Chris, thanks for tagging my log as a first build. I'm going into this blind so I can certainly use all the encouragement and guidance that I can get. I'm having to learn the names of the parts of the ship as I work through this build. That's how truly clueless I am. 

I had no idea that the brads are hard to sand. I've noticed that many builders on this forum use push pins instead and now I understand why. I'll pick up a box today and start using them instead. Thank you.

BrochBoating, thanks for the tips. I do have a semi-flexible nail file and some emery boards. I'll give those a try. You're right, I've found the Occre brads hard to remove, too. I'm just going to have to sand the ones that are already in and push pin the remaining planks. About the gel super glue, does that not turn brittle-like over time? I would love to use super glue but have been afraid it might not be long-lasting.

TY!

2 minutes ago, ToniSk said:

I'm going into this blind so I can certainly use all the encouragement and guidance that I can get.

Try getting hold of a copy of Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini. It's often available in public libraries as well as being easy to find (and cheap) online. The book is a bit dated in some respects, but it's still a good introduction to the hobby.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

19 minutes ago, ToniSk said:

BrochBoating, thanks for the tips. I do have a semi-flexible nail file and some emery boards. I'll give those a try. You're right, I've found the Occre brads hard to remove, too. I'm just going to have to sand the ones that are already in and push pin the remaining planks. About the gel super glue, does that not turn brittle-like over time? I would love to use super glue but have been afraid it might not be long-lasting.

I gave up trying to remove them, however their tip to file the tops of them worked ok as they're quite domed meant it didn't damage the wood beyond anything that isn't going to be sanded anyway.

Please don't take me as any kind of authority but the various kinds of superglue (CA) are widely used and recommended. Thick (what I'd call 'normal'), thin and gel all seem to have their place you just need to learn where and how to apply so you don't end up with a stick mess. I've found I can apply very tiny bits of gel with the standard Gorilla bottle but thin, as you expect goes all over the place. I've bought some of these to try for the normal glue but haven't tried yet.

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

2 hours ago, ToniSk said:

But I have been known to glue my fingers together before so we'll see how it goes. 

Me too :) the gel is much more manageable.

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

Nice start. I follow also
And yes, I have also glued my fingers with CA glue.
Advice, take your time. Building a wooden model is not a race

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Toni,

This may be off the wall, but would you consider setting your build aside and get some experience with high quality beginner models such as the 3 part series from Model Shipways designed by David Antscherl and/or the terrific Medway longboat kit by Chuck Passaro at Syren Ship Models.   You will learn how to properly plank as well as a lot of other things that will carry over to future more complex builds.  Just a thought that may prevent a lot of frustration.    

If you would rather stay with the kit you already have, the suggestion above to study the planking tutorials as well as the four part You Tube series on proper planking is key.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWooJ1o3cM

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan, I wouldn't consider that off the wall at all.

After watching the YouTube series you suggested I'm kind of laughing here at my partially finished planking mess. Not that I'm surprised though. I can definitely feel I am not approaching this in the right way and it's frustrating not knowing why. Do you happen to know where I can access "chapter 2" about lining off the hull that Chuck Passaro mentions in his 1st video?

I think the Shipways series that you suggested is probably the best bet for me since it appears to offer a lot of beginner guidance and comes with detailed instructions. I'm so glad I haven't asked for a Xmas present yet cuz now's the time. 

Thank you for your help!

45 minutes ago, ToniSk said:

Do you happen to know where I can access "chapter 2" about lining off the hull that Chuck Passaro mentions in his 1st video?

This one?

Simon.

In the stash:

Nisha - Vanguard Models

5 hours ago, BrochBoating said:

This one?

No, in his first video he mentions "lining of the hull" which I believe he's referring to the markings/tick marks on the bulkheads. He says that "the process was described in detail in Chapter Two".

***EDIT:  Found "Chapter Two" at this link (actually chapters 1 - 12):  https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/hms-winchelsea-1764.php

Edited by ToniSk
Update information

The article by David Antscherl on planking in the data base on planking explains lining off as well.    https://thenrg.org/resources/Documents/articles/APrimerOnPlanking.pdf

To get any of the Passaro vids, just Google Chuck Passaro planking video part 1                or 2,,,, or 3,,,, or 4

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 12/11/2023 at 3:31 AM, allanyed said:

The article by David Antscherl on planking in the data base on planking explains lining off as well.    https://thenrg.org/resources/Documents/articles/APrimerOnPlanking.pdf

To get any of the Passaro vids, just Google Chuck Passaro planking video part 1                or 2,,,, or 3,,,, or 4

Allan

Thank you so much! 

Of course, I couldn't wait until Xmas for the Shipways series to continue on with my Buccaneer. I'm actually glad that I didn't wait because I've learned so much about planking with this build that I otherwise would not have understood. My Buccaneer isn't planked properly *at all* but I was able to practice, learn, practice, learn and that experience is going to help immensely on my future builds. So, here is my Buccaneer after the initial sanding, filling, and at the beginning stage of the 2nd planking. 

Buccaneer6.jpg

Buccaneer7.jpg

Buccaneer8.jpg

Buccaneer9.jpg

For a first time planking, very good.

But

Take your time for the second planking, this will largely determine the appearance of your model later.
Also take a look at your cannon ports, they don't all seem the same size on the picture

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

So, I'm having a frustrating time here. And this happened with the 1st planking, as well, but it's more important now that I get this right since it's the 2nd and final planking.

I'm following Occre's YouTube instructions and the planking always ends up bowing upward instead of staying level as you can see in the pic below. This is only the port side but the starboard side is a mirror image. They both have the same problem. This doesn't happen on Occre's YouTube instructions and I'm not understanding why.

As you can see, I've taped a plank in a level position which leaves me with a big triangular gap that needs drop planks/steelers to fill it in. Somehow this doesn't seem right to me for above the water line. 

What am I doing wrong? And how do I go about getting it right?

Buccaneer10.jpg

Toni ,place your next plank between the first and last gunport in line with your early plank...

And worked from there toward to the bow and stern ....

If you cannot them get fit especially on the bow ,you will need to place a stealer there...

Edited by Mecheleir

Planking at the bow is tapered. Forget YouTube for a moment and read some PDFs first.

Remember,  planking is not a race. 

First

read the pdf'S,

then think how you gowing to do the planking,

then try if the plank fits

and only then gleu the plank on the model.

Regards, Patrick

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 7:10 AM, hlong222 said:

Looking very nice, and not “just” for a first build. Pulling up a chair as I’m just starting the 2nd planking on my Buccaneer (renamed Molino - build log on SoS).

Thanks so very much for your encouragement. I did end up finding your build log so I'll be checking in on your progress, as well. Your Molino looks fantastic!

Here's the latest on mine. I still have many tweaks to make at this point in time but I'm picking away at them slowly but surely. 

Buc1.jpg

Buc2.jpg

Buc3.jpg

Buc4.jpg

Buc5.jpg