Syren Ropewalk help

Go to solution Solved by Loracs,

Posted (edited)

Hello, first few times with the Syren ropewalk.  P.S.  beside my inexperience...  I like Chuck ropewalk a lot!  Looking for suggestions on the following:

Using mara 70, 4 strands (0.7mm or 0.025 inch):  having no real issues twisting and after 4-5 min at 350 degrees ===> no unraveling.

Using Mara 120, 4 strands (0.25mm or 0.008 inch):  The final rope keep unraveling, even after 5 min at 350 degrees.  Not sure which variable to look to resolve this issue. Longer cook time or raise to 400 degree?  Anything else I may oversee, such as

a) twist more tightly or less?

b) more/less tension while twisting?

c) or longer time under tension after watering?

a thousand thanks for your help!

Edited by Loracs

Completed Build: Chinese Pirate Junk

Current Build: HMS Revenge

You could be twisting too much.....all four strands together.   You probably need more initial twisting of individual strands.   I would suggest a three strand rope for that size as well.  No need to water poly rope....it wont do anything.  That is just for cotton or natural fibers.

This Mara 120, 4 strands was still under tension when you replied... so I increased the temperature to 400 degree/5 min.  It did quite ok this time.  However, I will be switching to 3-strands with more twisting on individual strands, as you suggested.  I may be more forgiving ;_)

Here are the Mara 70, 4 strands and the Mara 120, 4 strands.  I think they are ok.

IMG_1972.jpeg

• Solution

I figured out my unraveling mistakes.  The successful ones were likely the ones I forgot to do, roughly 1 in 5 I'm guessing. A pretty bad fails rate (80% or so). The more careful I was, the worse it seemed to get.  I realized my mistakes today and ET VOILA!  100% successful.  I'm almost too proud to admit it... but HEY!  If I make a mistake someone else may one day.  Here it is:

My Syren version 2 did not have arrow(s) pointing which way to twist. For some reason, I put in my head that I had to reverse drilling orientation (flip the reverse switch on the drill) when going from one stock to the other.  Big mistakes...  I basically keep adding tension to the rope without releasing it.  If I was not careful when cutting the rope at one end, it would twist on itself aggressively.

Then I read one of Chuck's comments on rope making: that when you carefully balance the tension from the first and second twist, the rope would just lay flat (without much curling, unwinding) when you cut it from the stock post.  That was the clue.

Corrected the mistake and BANG, released one end and the rope just lay there. Did 5 other ropes of different sizes, and YES!!! each almost seen better than the previous.  A nice sight.

IMG_1976.jpeg

Edited by Loracs

"Much of the satisfying work of life begins as an experiment, and no experiment is ever quite a failure."  Alice Walker 1944 - ...

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

That is some fine rope...well done.  Its easy once you get into a routine.  I have about 50 packages of rope to make today as well...about 1200 feet....I better get to it!!!