HMS Victory by Sparkov - Billing Boats - 1:75 - first build

Hello all,

I Just want to announce that I started my HMS Victory build last January, but have only just gotten around to starting this build log, I'll add a few posts over the next few days to bring the log up to speed of where I am currently (78 hours in) with accompanying pictures.

Opening the Box, numbering the parts, building the Slip and assembling the keel and the Hull Bulkheads took me to about 21 hours

1 Cutting out the parts.jpg

Although I've started to assemble the Gun Carriages, this task is not yet complete, which about brings me up to date of where I currently am with my build. 

I now have the dilemma if what to do next!   fitting and planking the Quarter Deck vs adding the side Planking Strips

11 Cut out and sanded gun Carraiges.jpg

12 Assemble Gun Carraiges.jpg

Edited by Sparkov

Very nice work for a first build Sparkov

For the future note that the gratings did not have openings adjacent to the head ledges or coamings, but rather had a solid edge as in the drawing below.  I find it easiest to make the grating so it has this solid edge then make the head ledges and coamings to fit.    

Allan

Gratings2.PNG.5f7aa88d9a10e41feab36f0cb7625009.PNG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

So today I painted the Crane Formers in Yellow Ochre (see image below) but seeing the colour once dried, I'm questioning to myself the choice of yellow to use!!!   its looks darker in person than it does in the image.   

I know the shade comes down to personal preference, but what are peoples thoughts on the matter?

23 Painted Crain Formers.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I've now Planked the poop deck before fitting it, and tried out a new technique, one I am much happier with.   With the Upper Gun Deck I used thread as caulking, and used lengths that crossed over the width of the deck, where in the 4 Butt system I used, for every 5 adjacent planks, x4 went over the thread, this caused a bumpy and frankly not very smart looking deck.  Therefore For the Quarter Deck and Poop Deck which would be much more visible, I will be using thread as caulking lengthways, but I will cut out 4mm lengths and add to each plank end. As you can see by the images, much smarter, and much more pleasing to eye

4 Planking the Upper Gun Deck.jpeg

thumbnail_20240215_144112.jpg

27 Planking the Quarter Deck.jpg

thumbnail_20240215_144555.jpg

25 Planked Poop Deck.jpg