Fairing question on Model Shipways Syren

Go to solution Solved by Chuck,

I’ve recently started working on the Syren. I have a question about the bevel at the stem. As you can see in the pictures, I’ve already gone way over the laser lines and the battens still don’t properly line up. I can’t figure out what I’ve done differently from other builds. Before I go any further, I thought I’d see if anybody has had this problem and knew what was wrong. The rest of the bulwark beveling seems fine. Obviously I’m going to have to shim it, but I figured I’d ask before going any further and avoid potential problems further on.

Thanks for your help.

image.jpeg.8512d019e42bb6ce56d4aab54366205c.jpeg

image.jpeg.9b5e77cc2a7e4db19a03e9769b232c30.jpeg

Hi Paul,

I may be completely misunderstanding your problem, but here goes.    When you say battens, are you referring to the hull planking?  Looking at the contemporary drawings of the Syren at RMG the angle of the plank that you show looks to be too sharp. but the piece that looks to represent a hawse piece looks right.  If that is the case, the plank needs to be bent more to give the bluff bow appearance called for in the original drawings (the red strake below.)  See sketch below.  For the contemporary drawings go to  https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-83191 at RMG, (low resolution) or 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Ship_plans_of_the_Royal_Museums_Greenwich&filefrom=Sail+plan+for+18-gun+Brigs+RMG+J0057.png#/media/File:Siren-Syren_(1773)_RMG_J6306.png for a high res version on the Wiki site.    Check the shape of the bow at the forecastle to see what I mean.  This drawing was taken off the ship after she was launched so is more of an as built thus very accurate.   Again, I may be completely misunderstanding your problem, so apologies if this confuses things.

Allan

Syrenbow1.JPG.7df39dd309c4a1ee64796e97a75b3ef1.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• Solution

Wrong Syren Allan.....That draft is for the English  ship and much earlier.

This is the American Brig....1806.   Those pieces dont look too bad too me.   Maybe a bit more fairing but its hard to say.   This photo looks pretty darn good either way.

image.jpeg.8512d019e42bb6ce56d4aab54366205c.jpeg

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

Wrong Syren Allan.....That draft is for the English  ship and much earlier.

Big OOOPS on my part Chuck.😁   I really should have thought about that possibility.  What threw me though was the plank(?) in the second photo which is inside the hawse piece.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Chuck! It seemed like I had to take off way too much to get it to fit. I know I need to do a bit more beveling. I just didn't want to go any further without some feedback.

Also thanks Alan. I appreciate the effort and time it took in answering me. I should have been more clear about the model and been more descriptive about what I was asking about. Next time I'll put in all the information.

Paul