Basic Posted September 18, 2013 Share #1 Posted September 18, 2013 My first foray into these foreign waters, a Build Log by Basic. After much thought and research, I finally decided to jump head first into the hobby and buy my first kit. (Hoorah!) To begin my selection, I spent quite a good deal of time going over reference materials, posts on these forums and advice given by some of the more experienced members of MSW (Thanks ladies and gents, you know who you are!). I came to the conclusion that the single, most important factor in selecting that all important first kit is this: It MUST be a kit that you find personally interesting in some way, which will significantly help you through the first build. I chose the Lynx in part because I find her rather elegant and graceful, and also because I really like the schooner class of ships. I picked her up off an eBay auction, and within a few days she was sitting on my desk, waiting for the build to start. The first thing I must mention is that I was pretty intimidated when I first opened the box; there were so many pieces and it all seemed rather daunting at the time. After a few deep breaths I plunged in, and started going through the parts, instruction manual and schematics. The first thing I noticed was that all the schematics were in Italian, a language that I am not very familiar with. My saving grace, a small instructions manual, was quickly discovered at the bottom of the box and I breathed a sigh of relief. After going through all the documents, I came to realize that the one thing that was hindering my ability to discern if all the parts were included was that I had very little working knowledge of the terminology of the ship building world. After a bit of research, I managed to piece it together well enough to be fairly confident that all the parts are accounted for. I managed to work around the sheer number of pieces by picking up a small cubby box, one of the ones commonly used to store small nails, screws, etc, and set it up on my desk. This helped me organize all the small parts into their own compartments and greatly relieved the clutter on my work surface. Unfortunately, as was explained in my introduction post to MSW, I have not yet managed to liberate my basement from the snooker table which currently lurks down there, so my work surface is not ideal at the moment, but I’m working on that. The work has started off rather slowly, considering that I am constantly checking and rechecking each task, and quite frankly I’m okay with this. I want to make sure that I avoid the common mistakes by thinking and planning ahead, which I’m sure will help save me a few headaches down the road. So far, I have dry fit all the bulkheads to the keel, as well as the sub-deck and the aft platform. I have begun to glue shims to the bulkheads to correct for the play that these parts have within their slots on the keel, and glue the bulkheads into place. I have also glued a set of reinforcing blocks to each side of the keel by each bulkhead slot, to ensure that the bulkheads are correctly positioned and have more surface area to create a strong adhesion. In the photo below, you can see the dry fitting of the bulkheads to the keel, as well as the first set of reinforcement blocks being glued & clamped to the keel. Excuse the poor lighting, I have yet to properly set up my work area! catopower, kvnrykvn and Salty Sea Dog 3 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.