Text - image - text - image

Go to solution Solved by James H,

With anyone's help, I just want to ask how to add images in between paragraphs of text in a post?  I normally 'drag files' onto the shaded section below but they all present after the final text. Thanks.

PvG Aussie (Peter) Started modelling Jan 2022.  Joined MSW March 2024. Quote: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Current Build:   HMS Vistory 1765, SIB (1:530) Scratch Build

Past Builds:       Artesania Latina (AL) Belem   (1:75),  AL Vasa (1:65)  , Scratch build Australia II SIB (1:225), AL Bluenose II (1:75)  AL Bounty (1:48),  AL Endeavour (1:65)

Trumpeter Bismarck (1:200),  Border Models Avro Lancaster Bomber (1:32),  AL Fokker Dr1 (1:16), Das Werk WWI German U-Boat SM U-9 (1:72)

PLUS  approx 13 ships in bottles

• Solution

I do it the first way James explains it. I just type in my text, then I upload a picture, insert it and set the size I want it to have. Then I just place my cursor behind the picture, press ENTER and start typing again and so on...

I noticed that some people just add the pictures and don´t leave any gap between pictures, I personally don´t like that (makes scrolling and looking the pictures much harder. I always press at least once (normally twice) ENTER after every picture, even if I insert two or more pictures in a row (which rarely happens). I prefer to separate pictures wiht text so the flow of reading the thread is a bit more easier.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Posted (edited)

I usually type in the text for a post in its entirety and leave a space (Return) between paragraphs. Then I upload the images I want to include in the post. This is a separate and preliminary action to actually inserting the image. Their thumbnails appear in a row in the UPLOADED IMAGES section below the text window.

Next, you place the cursor at the location to insert the image within the text (usually at one of the blank lines). And finally, hover your cursor over the image you want to insert, then click on the "Insert" button that appears.

That action inserts the image into the post. The default alignment is left-aligned. You can center the image by ensuring your cursor is adjacent to the image and then left-clicking the center alignment icon in the formatting row at the top of the post.

You can also resize the image after it is inserted by double-clicking it. You can only make it smaller than its original size. And make sure the "Keep original aspect ratio" checkbox is checked, otherwise your image will be distorted if you change the width.

Terry

Edited by CDR_Ret

Posted (edited)

Yep!  I do what sounds like a "mix" of what James, Micha and Terry all do, and we are all arriving at the same finished entry.  But I have never used the drag-and-drop, either.  I will "prep" my pictures ahead of time using my PC's Photos app, doing all of the cropping, resizing, etc. there.  Then, when I am creating a post, I will add all the photos I intend to use in that post at once, so the picture thumbnails appear in the UPLOADED IMAGES section below the text window.

Then, as I am typing text, if I want to place a picture at a specific location after a paragraph, I hit enter so that the cursor is on a new line and then click the picture I want to insert.  Boom!  If I know I want to center the picture, I will hit the center alignment icon either before or after placing the picture.  If you do that, though, and after inserting the picture, be sure to click back on the left-align icon, or all your continuing text will be centered, as well.

One caveat to this procedure, though... if you don't place all of the pictures you have "pre-chosen" and are in the UPLOADED IMAGES section somewhere into your reply, they will auto-load at the end of your entry once you hit SUBMIT REPLY.  If that happens, you can edit your reply entry and either delete it if no longer wanting to post it or re-insert it wherever you like by placing the cursor where you want it and click the picture, then deleting where it got stuck at the end.  Sorry if this got too wordy in my explanation version! 

EDIT:  I re-reading PvG's initial query, it sounds like he is doing fine with the upload, but then just not "telling" his text reply where he wanted the picture specifically placed, so they are all dumping at the end, as I noted in my last paragraph.  So... ignore my first two paragraphs of yapping! 🤣🤣

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

The instructions at the bottom of the text box used for posting replies indicates, 'drag files here' to attach. I just type, add a couple of line spaces (3-4 works well). I put my cursor on the one of those line spaces to insure separation and drag the image over from its file folder.  If I am posting multiple images in an area, I hit a line return/space before dragging the next image into place. 

The info about the thumbnails is true.  Deleting the image from the text body doesn't remove it from the thumbnails.  However, deleting the image from the thumbnails deletes from 'my attachments' and the thread. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Posted (edited)

I have a question for you all.

I first load all of the images I want to use. They are already formatted to "thumbnail" size (about 1000 pixels wide). Then I put the cursor where I want a picture in the text and click on the image I want in the images below.

So far this is what everybody else has said.

Then I double click the image and resize it to about 900 pixels, or 400 pixels wide for placing two pictures side by side. These will fit easily on a small size screen. However, if you click on the image you can see them full size.

Sometimes I place the first image left justified, and a second image beside it with no justification. Or maybe I put a tall image on the left and two shorter images beside it on the right, or maybe another small image and some text.

This looks OK on my screen, but I have no idea if others can see these side-by-side images. Does it come out OK on your screen?

Here is a link to an example post with photos and text mixed in several ways.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19611-albatros-by-dr-pr-mantua-scale-148-revenue-cutter-kitbash-about-1815/?do=findComment&comment=1029254

Edited by Dr PR

32 minutes ago, Dr PR said:

This looks OK on my screen, but I have no idea if others can see these side-by-side images. Does it come out OK on your screen?

This will really depend on the device you use. If you use a computer / laptop it will come out the same way you can see it. If you use a tablet it might come out the same way you can see it, depending on the settings of the tablet, it could aber shown underneath when the screen size is reduced. On an smartphone all pictures will come underneath each other, same with text and pictures, it will come as a long flow chart, text and picture in a long flow... (if you know what I mean). So yes, it strongly depends on your screen size because the text has to come out still in a size that can de read properly, therefore the pictures will be reduced but the text only to a size that still makes it easy possible to read.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just used it successfully on my 'build' post.  ☺️

PvG Aussie (Peter) Started modelling Jan 2022.  Joined MSW March 2024. Quote: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Current Build:   HMS Vistory 1765, SIB (1:530) Scratch Build

Past Builds:       Artesania Latina (AL) Belem   (1:75),  AL Vasa (1:65)  , Scratch build Australia II SIB (1:225), AL Bluenose II (1:75)  AL Bounty (1:48),  AL Endeavour (1:65)

Trumpeter Bismarck (1:200),  Border Models Avro Lancaster Bomber (1:32),  AL Fokker Dr1 (1:16), Das Werk WWI German U-Boat SM U-9 (1:72)

PLUS  approx 13 ships in bottles