I have used store-bought inlay wood strips on a couple of models and think that it does add something to the look in a positive way.

Not all of us (including myself) can actually carve decorations for our ship models and this may be an alternative to that. I just substitute a planking strip with one of the inlays. They are usually the same thickness and bend fairly well to the contour of the ship. They also stain well.

Am I cheating? Are they too gaudy? Your thoughts?

SaturnV

IMG_2022.thumb.jpg.6add3ee677c5b03f27f3fcb0871d39fa.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SaturnV said:

Am I cheating? Are they too gaudy? Your thoughts?

You're definitely not cheating. Inlay is not my cuppa on a ship as you have pictured (though you did a very nice job of it) but I think it's a great idea for the right boat/ship. A gondola comes to mind and maybe a 15th century vessel.   

Maybe trimming off the rope bands and only using the middle band applied around the galleries might look okay?  

Edited by Keith Black

Hi Kieth and thank you very much for the input.

I got the same response from my wife on my last model. I always run this sort of thing passed her to keep me from straying too far into the absurd when trying new things for my models. I think it looks good but in the end I'm usually the only one who feels that way. 🙂 

And BTW, my latest use of an inlay strip is on an early 16th Century dutch ship. Perhaps I got that one right. The wife will let me know.....

SaturnV

Such "fancy" detail is appropriate on showboats like yachts and royal barges. It is probably too gaudy for more pedestrian work boats.

But for a model it depends upon what you are trying to do. It would be inappropriate for a model that is supposed to be faithful to the original vessel (unless the original had the same designs as the inlay). But for a display model that is intended to be more decorative than authentic it certainly is OK. It all depends upon what you want to achieve.

It's your model, so do what you like!