Sapele wood color on second layer planking

Go to solution Solved by tmj,

In both Occre and AL kits it is common for outer layer planking to be Sapele. I am sure that there are other kit manufacturers that use it as well, but these are the two I have had experience with.  I don’t think the color looks quite right.  Does anyone do anything to improve the look of this wood?  

- Eric

In the shipyardSan Francisco Cross Section

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smackOcCre Palamos

• Solution

Sapele is indeed a rather 'rich' looking color of wood. If you are not happy with that color/tint there is little that you can do about it, unless you want it darker, then you can simply stain it. Your best bet, should you be seeking a 'lighter' shade would be to purchase, or cut your own planking strips using a lighter-colored species of wood... and then experiment with stains, finishes, etc. until you achieve the shade/color that you truly desire. If you are talking about those really, really 'thin' strips that come with some kits, to be placed over 'thicker 'first' planks... you might need to shop eBay for thin veneers and cut the strips yourself using a hobby knife and a metal straight edge. You'll find a lot of nice looking and thin veneers on eBay.       

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

Thank you @tmj. I am specifically talking about the really thin strips used as a veneer over the first level of planking.   Looking at it more, I think it is the iridescence that doesn’t look quite right to me. Darkening it just a bit with a stain may be enough to cover that iridescence. I’ll look into the veneers on eBay for future models as I have at least one in my stash with those strips. 

- Eric

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smackOcCre Palamos

The  iridescence is probably due to the oil content, which is common in tropical hardwoods.  You might try rubbing with mineral spirits to help reduce the shine.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

19 minutes ago, Gregory said:

The  iridescence is probably due to the oil content, which is common in tropical hardwoods.  You might try rubbing with mineral spirits to help reduce the shine.

Thanks!  I will give that a try

- Eric

I think it is less due to the oil content than to the golden inclusions in the grain. These are more noticeable in thicker material of this wood. You can see this on the deck superstructure of my Esmeralda. When laying the hull battens, you have to make sure that they are all laid with the grain in the same direction, otherwise this will be very noticeable when light shines on them.

Greetings

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Lady Nelson-Victory-Modelle 

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

8 hours ago, Pfälzer said:

… When laying the hull battens, you have to make sure that they are all laid with the grain in the same direction, otherwise this will be very noticeable when light shines on them.

Greetings

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I hadn’t thought that that could make a difference in appearance. 

- Eric

18 hours ago, Gregory said:

I often use oily exotic wood veneers on the face of guitar headstocks. I clean those veneers with mineral spirits prior to gluing them on, for good adhesion, however. When I finish the product, usually with 'Tru Oil', that iridescence typically returns. The deeper the finish, the more iridescent the wood becomes. I really like that on my guitars, but not so much on my ship models. Pfalzer is 'also' correct. I've noticed that the grain orientation 'does' effect how the wood veneer looks. Before cutting my patterns, I like to dampen the wood, just a bit, to get an idea of how it will look once applied. I then look at it from different angles of light to determine if I like it one way, or like it better when flipped 180 degrees. Orientation 'does' matter! Perhaps sealing the iridescent wood with a good finish, for protection... then dulling it down with some 400-800 grit sandpaper followed by a light smear of Danish oil, to bring the wood back to life, would remove that iridescent irritant? Don't know. I've never tried that, but it might be worth an experiment or few...           

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

@tmj  that is some great info!  I will definitely be using this info in the future! I plan finishing the wood with shellac.  I’ll definitely be trying a few things on scrap to see what I like. Thanks again!

- Eric