Electroplating Britania metal at home - doable?

Posted (edited)

Hello all, number of kits (majority) in my stash have an abundance of cast Britania metal parts.  The kit instructions say to paint these parts; even for replicating brass or copper.  I can see this approach for black parts.  However, a couple of kits that I have require replicating nickel, brass and copper.  Instead of a painted coating, which is not my preference, I'd like to try electroplating these parts at home.  My understanding is that a solution of white vinegar and salt with diodes and anodes made out the metal to be plated could work using a 1 amp power supply.  Does anyone on MSW have any experience with electroplating Britania metal parts?  Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

I'd really like to experiment with this method without blowing up the house. LOL My Admiral would not be too happy with me if that happened.

Edited by Wawona59

Wawona 59

John

Next Project: 18th Century Pinnace

Indefinite Hold for the future:  1/96 Flying Fish, Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

I agree, experimenting is probably the best way to go.  I think Britania may be a decent base as I believe it was used for silver plating.  I'm going to give the copper plating with a clean penny a shot.  Thank you for your comments.

Wawona 59

John

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

Hi John, I have done some brass plating and nickel in the past (not Britania parts but parts for typewriters and tripod restauration). AS a former car mechanic I even did some chrome plating with car parts. I use a power supply for laboratories from RS (RS PRO Digital Bench up to 3.2A three outputs) which I use regulary but you get some decent ones from Amazon or eBay for round about 50-100 Bucks. Be careful with the units about safety since you "play" with electricity.

Unfortunately there is no guide how to do it except experimenting since there are some factors applying to the process, thinckness of the material, grade of plating (thickness of the plating), size of the item you want to put the plating on.

I would try to get some "left overs" to do some experimental shots first, the Britania parts can be pricey sometimes so I wouldn´t sacrifice one of those with my first shot. But yeah, can be a challenging path to walk, I would write down the settings you used for specific parts so you can repeat the process for the next time with the same outcome (I do this for example with my tripod's mounting plate and hinges, which I most likely do in brass).

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Thank you for your input Micha.  I have a couple of derelict kits (don't we all?)  with some Britania parts to experiment with.  It looks like a variety of metals can be used for electroplating over a base.  There are also different techniques I've found as well.  I'll be experimenting so I can get some repeatable results.

Wawona 59

John

You might want to take a look at brush plating.  Seems to be the simplest method to do small parts.  Caswell is the most common one but there are other sellers out there.

https://caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/brush-plating-products.html

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Valeriy gave some tips on electroplating in his Varyag post several years ago. He is an expert at this sort of thing.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19333-varyag-1901-by-valeriy-v-finished-scale-175-russian-cruiser/?do=findComment&comment=590551

Phil

Current build: USS Cape MSI-2

Current build: Albatros topsail schooner

Previous build: USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 CAD model

It this seems that a lot of table-ware was made from silver-plated Britannia metal in the old days. So it may be worthwhile looking for Internet-resources on restoring such pieces.

Otherwise, jewel-makers use a lot of electroplating and 'tampon-plating' (meaning the electrolyte is held in a wet piece of felt with which the workpiece is touched, rather than immersing it in the electrolyte) for repair purposes. The respective supply houses offer hand-held kits for that purpose.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank you for your helpful comments Dr. PR and Wefalk.  I'm planning to build the Model Trailways Allerton Steam Pumper early next year as a gift for our local fire precinct.  The EMTs saved my wife's life a couple of years ago when her heat stopped beating.  This will be another gesture of thanks to them.  Instead of painting the brass parts with foil paint as called for in the instructions, I wanted to have a try with electroplating the brass and copper parts instead.  I'll be experimenting using left over Britania metal parts I have no intention of using.  Dr.PR, thank you for the link to Valerly's build log and his explanation of electoforming (electroplating).  His explanation was very informative as I had never heard of electroforming before.  Thanks again.

Wawona 59

John

4 hours ago, Wawona59 said:

Thank you for your helpful comments Dr. PR and Wefalk.  I'm planning to build the Model Trailways Allerton Steam Pumper early next year as a gift for our local fire precinct.  The EMTs saved my wife's life a couple of years ago when her heat stopped beating.  This will be another gesture of thanks to them.  Instead of painting the brass parts with foil paint as called for in the instructions, I wanted to have a try with electroplating the brass and copper parts instead.  I'll be experimenting using left over Britania metal parts I have no intention of using.  Dr.PR, thank you for the link to Valerly's build log and his explanation of electoforming (electroplating).  His explanation was very informative as I had never heard of electroforming before.  Thanks again.

Good Morning,

while electroplating with copper or nickel seems quite common, I wonder if it can be done with brass, as this an alloy of copper, tin, bismuth...

any information on that would be very much appreciated.

Greetings, Rudolf

Yes, alloys can be deposited galvanically. It’s regularly done for objects such as furniture or lamp fitting. The electrode should be brass of the copper to zinc ratio that you want on the final product, which determines the colour, ranging from reddish (high Cu) to yellowish (high Zn).

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank you for the information and explanation. Welfalk.  Experimentation is the order of the day now.  I've decided to go with the electroplating wand.  I'll probably get a starter set from Casewell Plating.com.  They are USA based so international shipping will not be an issue.  They seem to have a wide range of electroplating wands for the hobbyist through professional.  They also offer electroplating equipment as well as solutions for brass, copper, nickel and gold.  The gold is a bit pricey for my needs though.  If my experiments are successful, I'm probably done painting metal parts for my models.  Thank you all for your help, insight and suggestions.   I'm looking forward to my electroplating kit to arrive so I can start the experimenting.

Wawona 59

John