Duyfken by Olli Sukunimisson - Kolderstok - 1:50

She is huge. That was my first (and strong) impression when I opened the package I received in the mail. She is really huge. It’s not just about the size — the hull is only about a third longer than the Lady Nelson — but the thickness of the keel and the frames. I'm attaching a photo so you can see the comparison between the Lady Nelson, Speeljaht, and Duyfken. Yes, at this scale, you can work on the details even without a microscope. Everything looks in place, lovingly arranged and packed. Kolderstok was kind enough to include a small boat as a bonus.

P.S. To be fair, the only thing that raised questions for me was the detail of the sculptures. After all, this lion only vaguely resembles a lion. On the other hand, there's plenty of time before they're installed. I'll think about it later. Maybe this is a good opportunity to learn wood carving or 3D printing.

IMG_1135.jpg

Interesting to see what you are going to do with this kit. About the sculptures...that's what's holding me back to buy these kits. The sculptures look really low in quality, with the new techniques available, you would say this could be way better/more detailed. And I think overall the kits can be a bit more refined/better scaled.

That being said...i'm really glad there are manufacturers that produce Dutch ships and i'm hoping they are raise their game like Vanguard Models and Syren ship models to name a few do. 

I’m almost done with the deck planking. I tried to come up with a pattern that would be slightly less regular than a typical chessboard.

IMG_1183.thumb.jpg.5a80a2d80116f6d88f5424192f730ef6.jpg

The first wale is starting to take shape.

IMG_1182.thumb.jpg.3cbfe2a8aaee1bed1947325e32a6352a.jpg

I hope my investment in professional ship modeling equipment will prove to be worthwhile.

IMG_1184.thumb.jpg.37a14b1a398c9aaca17e9038538748e6.jpg

Good luck with this new build. About single or double planking, if you haven't already seen it, have a look at some considerations given here:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/21306-double-planking-a-hull-pros-and-cons/

Best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64Lady Nelson - Amati Victory 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Olli, your Duyfken build will be fun to follow.   The criticisms of the sophistication of the Kolderstok line are valid, but I also think their kits are at least as exciting as the other manufacturers mentioned, but in a different way:  who else has ever given us kits of the famous Dutch 17th types?  For me, Kolderstok kits are a long-held dream come true.

I'm very interested in hearing how your investigations of the carving develop.   Are you thinking to do it digitally, or hand carve?

Bob

Bob

current build 

Dutch 17th Century Pinas - Kolderstok - Scale 1:50 - Cross-Section

upcoming builds                               past builds

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                         USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72                                            USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

back on the shelf                                                              USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8   

Thanks, Bob!
Agreed, the magnificent ships of the Golden Age are a unique offering, and Kolderstok seems almost like a monopolist in this niche.
As for the wood carving, I haven’t fully decided yet. The easiest option is to order a model and 3D print it, but I’ll weigh the options and decide closer to the time. Hand carving would be cool, but I'm not quite confident in my artistic abilities.
The next step, of course, will be a scratch build with a full set of frames! :)