Lobster smack full finish

So I’m planking my model shipways lobster smack and it’s going pretty well. My question is how to finish the surface. 
Looking at some build logs the finished hull is completely smooth. They covered it with filler (wood filler, bondo etc) and then sanded smooth then paint. 
Since my planking is looking pretty good can I just fill some joints that need some attention then paint? Leaving the planking texture visible? 
I mean it’s my boat and I can do what I want, I get that. But what do these boats really look like? Never lived anywhere near boats and photos on the web aren’t particularly helpful. 
Why put so much labor of love into these joints to look good then slather them in bondo? 
Thanks for your comments!

Chris

eta-Now that’s not to say I’m so deluded as to think my planking is ready for just stain and poly, this is only my third boat. Don’t want to guys to see the pictures later and say “ what was he thinking?” 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Desertanimal

On 9/21/2024 at 10:14 AM, Desertanimal said:

...this is only my third boat. Don’t want to guys to see the pictures later and say “ what was he thinking?” 🤣🤣🤣

First of all, Chris, this is your boat.  Do with it how you wish! 👍

In your post, you mention painting, but then later you say "stain and poly".  My 2 cents, but I hope you opt for staining with a topcoat of poly rather than actually painting with like an acrylic or something.  With that said, if your planking is pretty flat, some light sanding in a few noticeable high spots would be fine (you don't want your lobster crew stubbing their toes on a deck plank!) and then stain and seal would be a good plan.  Did I see where you had your own build log for your Lobster Smak?  This was a fun ship for me.  Best wishes!  Carry on! 

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

Chris, that hull look great! Nothing like mine did. I’ve found the problem with stain is where there is glue on the outside the stain doesn’t take well. The last build I stained I was careful with the glue and tried to sand off any I saw before I stained. Personal experience is a great teacher and it tends to stay with you longer:-)

Current builds:

Mini Oseberg no 302 -Billing Boats

Back on the shelf: 

Gretel - Mamoli

Nonsuch 30 - 1:24 - Model Shipway

Completed builds:

Sea of Galilee boat

Lowell Grand Banks dory

Norwegian sailing pram

Muscongus bay lobster smack

Peterboro Canoe- Midwest

Captain John Smith’s shallop - Pavel Nikitin

Chesapeake double kayak

1 hour ago, Desertanimal said:

Hey Gregg, thanks for the reply! I may not have been clear this is for the hull.

Ahhhh, yes!  I read "surface" and immediately jumped to "deck"... <doh>  My bad!

Your hull looks really good, Chris!  Nice work!  As for hulls, I'm a believer in painting those.  And yeah, give it multiple coats with some sanding in between.  Unless there are a few "divots", don't worry about smaller lines between planks.  As I said earlier, this is your build.  If you are happy with the hull, give it some paint! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways