It's Trafalgar Day

Chuck Seiler

post-1153-0-50756800-1382332650_thumb.jpg

post-1153-0-66698100-1382332649_thumb.jpg

It is now 12:45, 21 October 1805, twelve miles off the coast of Cape Trafalgar...and you are there.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

post-1153-0-53230300-1382333186_thumb.jpg

Spanish news blimp gets a picture of HMS VICTORY as it cuts the line.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

If I recall correctly, as of the noon log VICTORY was only doing 1.5 to 2 knots...and that was with the wind almost directly astern.  The FRENCH/SPANISH fleet, with a much worse aspect to the wind, had to be doing a fraction of that.  As we know, a huge storm hit shortly after the battle.  The long, deep rolling swells that preceeded the storm wer ehitting the BRITISH form astern and the FRENCH/SPANISH from abeam.  Good times were had by all.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

If I remember correctly (and it was about 1963, so bear with me on this) when I was at school in Gibraltar we always recognised Trafalgar Day.  Mind you it was a 'Naval & Dockyard School' and the locals on 'the rock' were fiercely pro British ...... probably still are....thanks for jogging my memory.

Pity England only 'Expects' and does not 'Require'

Rob (Oxford UK)