Hr Ms O-1 by FreekS - RADIO - first Dutch submarine 1906-1920, 1:32 - Finished

Hello all,

This is my first build log on the forum, and my third ship overall. The first was a Dutch Navy contemporary frigate Zr Ms de Zeven Provincien, and the second a world war 2 submarine, Hr Ms K-XVIII. Both are radio controlled and both hulls were made with the bread and butter method. That worked out very well for these larger vessels but now I intend to build a much smaller sub and will need to be much more economical with space.

So this will be my first hull built out of wood with planks on ribs.

Hr Ms O-1 was a Holland-class submarine built as a private venture by Wilton Feijenoord and sold to the Dutch Navy when it has passed some trials set as condition for her purchase. In subsequent exercises she proved very capable to defeat the then surface ships of the Dutch Navy. She patrolled the North Sea during WW1 (but thankfully the Netherlands remained neutral throughout that conflict).

O-1_zps2981a52b.png

The Holland boats have beautiful lines, and I was hooked when I saw a working model of an Austrian Holland class at a meeting in Lichtenstein some years back.

Please feel free to comment and advise as I have some experience, but little in this kind of hull building especially.

Groeten, Freek

30603a9c3c0b8e256fe00de2bef13633_zps7cfa

IMG_0706_zpsbc90ccb8.jpg

Edited by FreekS

Hi John,

I plan to install a bayonet closure roughly 1/3rd distance from the stern. All the technical pieces will then be mounted on a rack attached to the stern part and pulled out of the front. It will be tricky to mount the motor and propellor assembly and the pushrods used to operate the dive planes and rudder.

So the whole hull will be dry and waterproof. This is a fairly well known way to assure waterproofness (though I have not used it before). The main challenge will be to find space for all the technical stuff (receiver, speed controller, motor and servo motors, batteries, pump for dive tank (waterproof bag) and electronics to control it all).

But first the hull - next to the waterproof cigar I'm making now the boat has a flood able deck, a single torpedo tube and a conning "tower" with periscopes and masts.

Freek

Freek,

Nice to see another submarine construction log. I find them particularly fascinating.

You have made a lovely start. The construction thus far is reminiscent of model aircraft construction - though I have no doubt the similarities will soon end with further work. :)

I look forward to your next entries.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hello Freek,

Fascinating project!  I'll draw up a chair and watch the build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks all for your kind words!

Yesterday I managed to stiffen the pressure hull by inserting wooden blocks in-between the frames. This will help the planking of the hull - without taking away from the room inside the boat. The boat seems straight and next step is for me to verify the accuracy of the frames with a plank, and to start drawing the complex bow and stern pieces - which will be the end-points for the planking.

IMG_0710_zps8d8095a9.jpg

Also late last night we performed the age old ceremony of fixing an old coin in the keel. We selected a 1 Dutch cent coin (no longer in use since the euro) from my birth-year and with the image of Queen Juliana on it. This tradition hopefully assures 'een behouden vaart' - safe travels over the high sees.

IMG_0712_zpsec32443f.jpg

Thanks Anja!

On my birthday I made the bow and stern from wood left over from my frigate project. Using a band sander I got the pieces nicely in shape and even prepared the muzzle of the single 18 inch torpedo tube that the O-1 had. More time went into checking the frames and correcting small deviations. I started making the planks, from 3 x 8 x 600 mm wood. These were narrowed at both ends and after a few hrs soaking were clamped in place to bend them into the required shape.

I made about 5 of 30 planks so have to do a few more!

Note how small O-1 is vs K-XVIII !

d13f131657f9540085b0a1c13346a9a7_zps39c8

Freek

Edited by FreekS

Hoi Freek, she will look exactly like the original as seen from the shape of the hull.  btw, Queen Juliana is my most favorite person, said from personal experience.  That one cent piece should serve your O 1 well.

Love the pic of your K XVIII as well.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

INTERMEZZO

I still owe Piet a video of the K-XVIII shooting a torpedo from the deck tubes.

Here's a mini video build log of the work I did to make the torpedoes operational - using rubber motors as the propulsion method.

Hope you will enjoy the 5 minute film - the sub shot is right at the end

Freek

Edited by FreekS

Thank you very much Freek for the video!  I watched it several times and I'm impressed with your persistence to make it work.  I won't go that far with my build of the O 19 though, I may an eye in the process   ;)  ;)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hallo all,

Thanks for the kind comments on my rubber motor Torpedo's!

Back to planking the hull.

I'm shaping each plank with a mini plane, but progress is slow. I learnt I need to ensure the plank is fully pre-bent before mounting on the hull. Six planks done and I think I have the hang of it now - though at cost of removing one after it had too much tension in bow section.

Certainly gives me a lot of respect from those of you creating much more complex hull shapes!

Freek

23bfa9483dc4434683e28c06dd11e8df_zps50e1

413d61a9ed4e8a64446700394c4f803e_zps7f89

Freek,

The model is coming along very nicely.

I am trying to visualize the size of the model - the pencil gives me a clue. It would be great to have a rule alongside it in some of the photos to help.

Keep up the good work.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Ian,

The hull will be 68 cm long, and 11 cm in diameter. The original boat was only 20 meters long, and the model is 1:32.

At 125 tons displacement, the original was small, and the model will weight approximately 4 kg and have a dive tank, most likely a plastic bag, of about 500 ml

inside the model I will need to fit

- a motor with speed controller

- batteries and receiver

- pump for the dive tank (bag) with its controller

- two servo motors with pushrods controlling the planes and rudder

- quite a lot of lead to give stability and make up to 4 kg.

The boat will be very full!

Here's another picture of the original

2c77ae92055842be7b516d7c13ec5331_zps6a5e

Freek

Edited by FreekS

Hallo all,

Planking is about 75% done, now I have to think about closing the gap and how to fix the last planks in place without using the small "vices" (klemmetjes).

Also in front of the boat the small plane I used to shape the planks and the Bajonet closure which just arrived from Norbert bruggen. Norbert is a legendary model sub builder in Germany and sells all sort of usefull parts.

However still lots of planking and sanding to be done!

B70DD1E6-FE6F-4BBA-A884-81F6807D99DA_zps

Edited by FreekS

Hoi Freek,

Looking nice, she's beginning to take shape now.  "Klemmetjes" would be clamps in English  ;)  It's great that I still understand Dutch  :)

If you are covering the hull with glass and epoxy anyhow why not use small brass nails instead of clamps?  I did the same with the O 19 but did remove the nails after the glue was dry - - - I think.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all,

Hull is closed! Last planks have been shaped and mounted and after a night drying I used the band sander to shape the planks fit with the bow and stern pieces. Lots of sanding comes next - probably first with a little electric sander then with regular sandpaper.

Glass"fabric" has been ordered with low viscosity epoxy resin to seal the outside with a protective layer. Will need to read up on how this is done !

After that comes the point when the hull needs to be sawed in two for attaching the bayonet. brrrr.

14715B57-5038-4A66-A0A7-063E16C33B92_zps

60B64EA4-254F-4E72-923F-68EE38F7007B_zps

FE06B086-8FB1-4C5E-9B8B-92EBF25F266F_zps

Regards. Freek

• 2 weeks later...

I finished planking the hull and after a first layer of epoxy I added two more layers with woven glass fibre to make a strong hull.

Now I used epoxy putty to start evening out the irregularities in the hull. First time sanding after 18 hours gave a reasonable smooth hull though with some of the glass fibre weave still visible. So I just applied the second coat.

9FF5CC0E-2D34-4846-BBE5-8A66177B2F72_zps

Meanwhile I also started on the superstructure. As the dive tank inside the hull will need a volume equal to displacing all the materials over the waterline, it is important to build the superstructure light.

I used 1.5 mm birch triplex for the frames and 0.8 mm for the hull plates above the waterline. This area needs to flood so I need to ensure the air can go out when the boat submerges.

See attached an outline of the long and narrow superstructure.71637CA7-22C2-4427-B9DF-20CD3CD6D6EB_zps

and below a detail on the drawing

58F683EB-16A7-4158-97E3-7282E9E38067_zps

The sail of the original is mounted as a monument in the Dutch navy harbour in Den Helder

F6AE7882-219E-448E-9E9A-5EC3EF756B7A_zps

Freek

Edited by FreekS

Hi all,

Of course first days of the holiday I have to catch a flu! Poor weather here but at least it gave me some time to work.

The hull is now nice and smooth and I will add another layer of epoxy once I have enough of the superstructure to waterproof that as well.

I made some ribs for the deck section and more or less finalised the sail. Here are some overview pictures - the shape of the boat is taking shape!

e54521f96458ee24873a7730ecc53cd7_zps150c

The front part mounted on the bow is the torpedo tube door which pivoted open (in real life). But there will be so limited room and access in the boat that I decided against making this functional (and I'm no Piet!).

6273d909fcafe4eb66fc376f32f9c1e5_zps0dd8

Regards,

Freek

Edited by FreekS

Hoi Freek,

That's beginning to look really impressive.  Now, if you had upped the scale by a factor of 3 you could have installed a real torpedo tube system that fires real torpedoes and with an explosive charge  ;)  ;)  

I'm kidding of course, no need to make everything workable.  It's already a great job you did with the K XVIII!!!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Yes Piet!

And with automatisch reload, after all O-1 carried two reloads for her single 18 inch torpedo tube (and the torpedo's had to be brought on board in three pieces and assembled inside!)

Ive considered making a functional tube, but Then I'd never use KXVIII again! Also, considering how full my KXVIII is with electrical 'stuff', I know I'm going to struggle finding space inside O-1.

Thanks for the interest - as always, and merry Xmas

Freek

Ah - - - a face with a name!  Model is looking great and have a great holiday season.  Stay in good health!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra