HMS Victory by Glenn-UK - Caldercraft - 1/72

Hello Jerry

Many thanks for your kind words. I would not be adding the fine touches or be so self critical of my build if wasn't for the excellent builds and sound advice by all the other HMS Victory modellers, such as your good self. The more I get into the build the more I check the other build logs for idea's on how I can improve my build and modelling skills.

Thank you.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Just a quick update, still working on lining the gun ports. All 6mm linings on port side are complete and 50% of 6mm linings on starboard side are complete which I expect to complete in the next 2 or 3 sessions. I will then add the 16mm linings to the upper gun deck gun ports.

I will then give the hull a very good clean and repaint as necessary, including adding the black lines before I start fitting the dreaded copper tiles.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Good morning, Glenn...0630 here....Yes, I noticed several pics missing in Gil's and David's log and I have mentioned it to David.  He didn't know the reason but said he knew about it.  I suppose the only way to get an answer is to write to the administrator, which I have not. 

Nice progress on your model.. aand have a great day.

Jerry

Glenn..You're talking about 20 or 30 pictures in some cases; I wonder if anyone will take the time to make the fix?

Jerry 

Good morning

Today I thought I would share my gun port lining procedure, it may not work for others but it does work well for me and is based on a gun port without a balsa seat fitted.

I took the decision early on in the build to fit balsa seat to the gun port strips prior to their installation. This has saved some time and also did create a few minor problems with the installation on the gun deck. In some instances I did not pre-fit a balsa seat due to the limited space, and in some cases the balsa seats become detached during the installation of other items.

Gun port lining ready to be lined but has no balsa seat to aid the installation.

post-7550-0-10780400-1399715935_thumb.jpg

Using a special tool to hold the balsa seat; a small amount of ca glue is be applied to the balsa seat.

post-7550-0-73153800-1399715945_thumb.jpg

The seat can then be positioned using the tool which is removed after a few seconds.

post-7550-0-97297500-1399715955_thumb.jpg

Balsa seat after installation, this one will need to be trimmed.

post-7550-0-58150200-1399715967_thumb.jpg

Seat after installation and trimming.

post-7550-0-34770900-1399715977_thumb.jpg

The painted 6mm lining strip is then measured and cut to size.

post-7550-0-58482800-1399715987_thumb.jpg

After the cut a dry fit is carried out.

post-7550-0-50743800-1399715998_thumb.jpg

The lining strip is then coated with super phatic glue and positioned in the gun port, using a special tool to ensure it is set back 1mm.

post-7550-0-44971700-1399716008_thumb.jpg

That concludes my procedure, it may not be the best and I think it is very important to find a method that works well for you.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn...

Nice to see you back in the dry dock.  Must be nice to be able to take a long break from ship building; I need one myself.  I'll be anxious to see you get going on the coppering, one job i actually enjoyed.  But that was a long time ago and now I'm tweezering away on the rigging.  I wish you continued success.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

It's been hard not going to the build every evening after work but we've been looking after the grandkids  in the evenings which is equally hard work and just as enjoyable. But normal ship build service returns next week, keep up the good work with your rigging. I hope I will find the coppering enjoyable as well, as I know it will be very Labour intensive.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

With the very warm sunny weather over the weekend; so time on the boat has been restricted whilst I spend time in the garden enjoying the sun. I have spent some time cleaning and painting the hull and I also starting installing the 16mm gun port linings.

I expect to have this work completed within the next couple of weeks, which then means it time to start the copper tiling.

Can you spot the damage to the gun port lining strip on this photo, look top left middle gun port. I can effect a simple repair.

post-7550-0-79843900-1400482743_thumb.jpg

Poor colour without flash

post-7550-0-98271000-1400482745_thumb.jpg

It will not be long before I add the black lines, I have some Tamiya masking tape ready!

post-7550-0-61217500-1400482748_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-68714900-1400482750_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-83852300-1400482752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Good morning, Glenn..

Nice to see your progress.  English gardens are usually so nice this time of the year so I can't blame you for spending some time enjoying it.  I remember the lush strawberries that I harvested from the garden where we stayed for some time in Hertford (Hertfordshire) .  My wife and i spent two summers there and it was just ideal.  I'm looking forward to your coppering as that is a major milestone in your building the Victory.  Keep up the neat job.  Best regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I had the back breaking task of breaking up 14 fence panels so I could fit in my car and take to the tip, in multiple trips.

I then had to remove some of the lawn as I wanted to reshape some of the flower beds. Then took some time to trim and the feed the lawn.

Finally I was able to get the sun chairs out and doze as I soaked up the rays.

Thankfully it's not so sunny today as I'm back at work!!!

Glenn (UK)

Completed port side gun port linings and painted the black strips.

I used Tamiya model masking tape in order to get good clear lines between the yellow and black paint, or so I thought!

As you will see I suffered bleed through which is a tad frustrating.

I will have to sort this out at another time, as I want to complete the starboard side over the next few days.

Taped and painted

post-7550-0-86189300-1400740881_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-59463500-1400740884_thumb.jpg

Tape off, but not good clean lines between the yellow and black paint!

post-7550-0-71091800-1400740886_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-78329000-1400740888_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

• 2 weeks later...

All being well I should complete the 16mm linings tonight, just 7 top linings to fit which should take about 30 minutes.

I have painted the black lines on the hull so I will just need a some touch up work tonight also.

I must be honest I'm not totally happy with my 16mm linings, this is due mainly to an gun port alignment issue with the inner bulwarks which has created additional work to correct. However when painted up and fitted with the cannons they look OK, but would not pass muster from a close up inspection, and thankfully the quarter deck (when fitted) will also hide some of my sins.

All being well I will start the coppering tomorrow.

2500 tiles x 3 minutes to fit each tile = 7500 minutes / 125 hours. Working 2 hours per night = approx. 60 days to complete.

Given some tiles will not take 3 minutes to fit but other will take longer to cut and shape and also I probably will be not able to spend 2 hours per day I think 2 months is a reasonable estimate for the time it will take, 1 month per side.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.

I imagine that you are getting ready to have your lunch.  Well, I think you should have a very nice meal to celebrate how well you have been constructing your Victory.  I have enjoyed watching your ship come to life and reminicse as you go from step to step.  Nice job, Glenn.  I think the copper plating won't take as long as you have estimated.  I say this because a good number of them will take you less than 3 minutes, at least from my experience.  But what ever time it takes it'll be worth the wait as your hull will be shiny and you will be proud.  I am at a standstill at this time as I have run out of 3mm blocks which are used profusely as one progresses through the rigging.  It usually takes about 2 weeks for an order to arrive here in Florida from Cornwall Ship Models and that is where I'm getting the bulk of my new blocks.  I placed a backup order to Model Expo here in the states and that could arrive in a few days.  We shall see.  But there are still so many other things i can do while waiting for the blocks.  Hope you ahve a great day and weekend.  bests regards,

Jerry

Greetings glen

Good luck with your coppering. Got to agree with Jerry on the ammount of time it will take to do your coppering. I was fitting up to five at a time using evostic, it's just getting the hang of using it. Others like Jerry found using CA was ideal. The £1 shop sell evostic if you want to see how it goes with that. DAVID

Nearly time for lunch. My youngest son is flying out to Florida next week for a two week holiday with his girlfriend.

I went to the states on business a couple of time last year to Columbus (Ohio), and had some down time on way back to sightsee New York a couple of times which I enjoyed.

Normally takes 2 to 4 days for items to arrive from CMB, but as I'm based in the UK that not too bad. It took a couple for weeks for the goods to arrived ordered from micro mart.

I sure once I get in my stride I will get a better handle on the copper tiles timings. I will use either evostick or super phatic, I'm tending more toward evostick as I think the super phatic will not grab to well initially, as normally tales a minute or two to get really tacky.

Glenn (UK)

Just curious, Glenn.  Where in Florida is your son planning to visit?  I'm guessing Orlando as that is where most of the amusement parks are locates..(Disneyland, Universal, etc.)  I'm located in southwest Florida (Naples).

Jerry

Started the fitting the copper tiles today, 152 fitted in first session. I'm using Evostick instant which is a very good glue for this application, as advised by Shipyard Sid. It is very easy to roll off any excess glue once the tiles are fitted.

When working along a line I'm spreading the glue for 5 copper tiles, generally taking about 2 minutes to spread and fit 5 tiles.

I don't think this task is going as bad as I feared, yes it will take plenty of time to complete, but I'm finding it strangely therapeutic.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photos.

post-7550-0-83730200-1401549344_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-75666500-1401549353_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-64599900-1401549363_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-48252600-1401549374_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Looking good, Glenn.  Looks like you got the hang of it.  Your plates are lining up very nicely which will give you nice vergtical lines.  Not much more that I can say except it seems like you're on your way to that shiny hull I mentioned before.  Have a great wekend.

Jeerry

Greetings glen.

Well once again glen is buzzing along, and things are looking very good. Fill in the small gaps as you go, you don't want to finish with loads of small pieces to fit in. And it makes them easier to fit, as the surrounding tiles are not secured if you follow. Keep enjoying it and don't get complacent. DAVID

First 200 copper tiles are now fitted, took 30 minutes to fit the last 50 tiles, so maybe it will not take as long as I first thought to complete.

Will start again on Monday as we are away tomorrow for the day. The first task will be to fill in the gaps as per Dave's (Shipyard Sid's) recommendation.

A couple more pictures of my progress.

post-7550-0-39344200-1401556368_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-90916700-1401556380_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-09400900-1401556391_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Like I said earlier...great progress.  So you see, it will get done quicker than you thought...Nice work, Glenn.

Jerry

On the face of it my copper tiling looks ok, and when I came back tonight from a family day out I started to fill in the gaps, as shown in in the first photo.

I used my light with built in magnifying glass to help check the cut tile fitting. But this also highlighted some issued with the installation of some of the basic tiles, some were not butted up to the adjacent tiles and some where overlapping the adjacent tiles. This is shown the in the next three photos. The excess glue is from removed tiles, which is explained later on.

To the naked eye it would probably be ok so I decided to continue with the installation of the next few tiles but soon realised there was going to be an alignment issue which was not going to easy to correct.

I have therefore taken the decision to rip of the tiles and start again, taking much more time to ensure I get the first two layers neat and tidy, using the light / magnifying glass to confirm the correct installation of the tiles.

Thankfully the tiles have been coming off without too much effort and removing the excess glue has not been a problem. I will complete removing the tiles tomorrow and will start again, with less haste. Will also order some more copper tiles from CMB!

post-7550-0-29972100-1401656451_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-77300300-1401656464_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-74690800-1401656474_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-55324900-1401656485_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn...

I'm glad that you are a perfectionist. and your build will benefit.  Yes, the closeup photos show the gaps and you are right to make the corrections.  In the long run you will be glad.  Keep up the good work as you make all your fellow modelers proud of you.

Jerry

the only good thing is you realised the alignment problem early on ,i find i wear the magnifiers nearly all the time and can,t work without them ,it,s funny how the camera highlights all the little details we miss but i agree with Jerry you would have regreted not fixing them .I have never coppered and hope i never do cause it looks like a real pain but going by your previous work you will soon master it .

Boyd 

Thanks for you're comments, I glad I discovered the error of my ways at such an early stage and will soon have everything back to how it should be.

I should use the magnifying light more but its very old and not very user friendly so I tend to use it as a last resort. I think maybe I need to see if I can get the spring loaded adjustable arms to move in a coordinated manner. At the moment they have a mind of there own and will not cooperate with me when I need to adjust the postion.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

It didn't take too long to remove the copper plates and excess glue and then to repaint as necessary.

Started coppering again tonight, using the my lighted magnifying glass to check each plate. I'm very happy with the installation this time around.

It has worked out fitting time is 2 minutes per plate at the moment, which includes the shaping time of some of the tiles, this time will reduce quite a bit when I'm not having to cut the plates.

I plan to finish the first two rows completely before moving down to the next 2 rows this time and when complete move on to the next 2 rows etc.

The last tile on the 2nd row does look slightly out of alignment on the photos, but this is an optical illusion as it correct in real life.

post-7550-0-16791300-1401824629_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-43096500-1401824642_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-76787800-1401824652_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-37791200-1401824663_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-51614900-1401824673_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)