HMS Victory by Glenn-UK - Caldercraft - 1/72

Well, I have already begun to shrink.  I have a very bad back problem and the doctor told me that I have lost almost 2 inches.  Doesn't sound possible but when I last had my height measured I was 5'7" and I know I once was 5'9"  I probably lost some more height building the Victory.  LOl

Jer

Guest Tim I.

Glennard,

I am sorry if this has been asked before. Are those copper plates from the kit, or after market? If so, from where?

Thank you,

Tim

Hello Tim

The copper plates are supplied with the kit, but replacement plates (of different styles) can be ordered from Cornwall Model Boats, I have ordered 500 additional plates, to cover my false start and to ensure I have a got a good spares level. Ordered them on Monday and they arrived in post on Wednesday.

Check out CMB web site for more information.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Guest Tim I.

Hello Tim

The copper plates are supplied with the kit, but replacement plates (of different styles) can be ordered from Cornwall Model Boats, I have ordered 500 additional plates, to cover my false start and to ensure I have a got a good spares level. Ordered them on Monday and they arrived in post on Wednesday.

Check out CMB web site for more information.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Great, thank you!

- Tim

Hello Glenn

Well done with your coppering so far. Yep it's going well. Keep it going and don't get complacent. Build a small stool so you can view your ship in its case. You ordered 500 more plates ??? Are you coppering the small boats ????n DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Good going, Glenn... You're about 20 per cent there.  Your workmanship looks real neat...Keep the faith.

Jerry

524 copper plates now fitted. I think I'm about 40% complete on the port side.

I think the Evostick instant glue, as recommended by Shipyard Ship has proven to be a sound choice, although  I have found it necessary to use ca glue for the odd copper plate at stern and bow end.

My hat goes off to the builders, like Jerry, who used ca for fixing all the copper plates.

Here are some up to date pictures, I think I will replace one of the plates at the stern as I'm not totally happy with the fit.

post-7550-0-04822500-1402158617_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-98731000-1402158631_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-40635800-1402158644_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-48064500-1402158656_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-59421500-1402158668_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-94221000-1402158680_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-20832200-1402158692_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-06054000-1402158704_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn...

Your copper plating looks wonderful.  It's as neat as can be and looks totally well done.  I will think twice before I compare my model to yours.

Enjoy the weekend,

Jerry

Greetings Glenn

Well this is looking good, and you have only spent five days on it. There must be at least a third of the first side completed. I think you will start to find things get a bit more awkward from now on in, but you are really doing well. No complacency and fill the gaps... Well done DAVID

Many thanks David.

It is fiddley work cuting the end plates for stern post and bow but I'm taking time to check fit before I apply the glue. The bow has been more challenging than the stern and your pictures have helped me out. I'm also taking time to bend the plates before fitting as necessary. How is the barge build progressing? Will be interested to know where/how you fitted bulkhead 6.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

David

You were correct it has been a bit awkward today as I progress very slowly and carefully south toward the keel.

I have sorted out the copper plating line at stern post down to keel, so last row of plates will run true with the keel and should also be an exact plate width so no trimming or overlapping required (best laid plans of mice & men!). Also started sorting out the bow rows which will take a bit more time complete for the next three rows. I then plan to plate up a few rows from keel until I reach the completed plates at the bow. This in theory should just leave a few rows in the central area to complete.

No ship build work scheduled for tomorrow as the admiral has booked tickets to see a play in our local theatre. Build time may also slow down a bit as I understand there is a football (soccer for my Amercian friends) tournament starting later in the week in Brazil which will command some of my valuable time, but not to much hopefully as I have installed a tv in the workshop so I can multitask!

Glenn (UK)

Complete the copper plating at the starboard keel end tonight.

I have drawn lines on the hull to show the copper plateruns which has been a big help aligning the plates.

Still a quite few more days work left to complete the starboard copper plating before I start over again on port side.

post-7550-0-72930800-1402430887_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-16954100-1402430898_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-45076400-1402430908_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Good going, Glenn.  You are doing excellent.  You are getting to be like Lawrence, waxing perfection.  Keep it upi.

Regards,
Jerry

I love it when a plan comes together, the copper plates seems to be aligning as I continue with the infill at the keel.

Given my past history with measurements around the house with various DIY tasks I'm surprised and very pleased.

Will continue to build up from the keel as work continues on the infill.

post-7550-0-25250000-1402515812_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-13583700-1402515827_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn...I'll bet you're excited and rightly so. The plating is coming along well and a great pace.  You now surely have the knack of it and pretty soon you'll be enjoying another phase.  I'm getting ready to shutd down the dry dock as we're leaving for Europe next Monday for 3-1/2 weeks.  We usually spend a lot of time in the UK but this trip it'll be all mainland Europe and a bunch of the islands.  It's so nice to see your progress.  Best to you,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I'm pleased I'm getting near the end of completion of the copper plating, however I have it all to do again for the port side, so should be getting near completion when you return from your European holiday. Have a great time.

I more than ready for the next phase of the build but will press on with the copper plating to its conclusion.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

HI Glen, Looking Very nice and neat. Im Looking forward to this part as details start to take shape ( any reason why you have not plated to the stem post by the rudder)?

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Hello Lawrence

Many thanks for your visit to my to and your kind comments. I think CA is better in terms of getting the plates to adhere to the hull around the curves, and I have used for sitting some of the plates. The Evostick glue, which is readily available in the UK, works fine for the majority of the plates, and is easy to clean of plates and fingers.

I'm really impressed with your build.

Glenn (UK)

Just a quick update, I have just about completed the copper plating on the starboard side, just a bit to finish around the bow section.

I was very pleasantly surprised that, at the widest point, the copper plating was an exact fit between the water line and keel, no trimming or overlapping required!

post-7550-0-69611900-1402754900_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-22769200-1402754911_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-24199500-1402754922_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-82772000-1402754933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn...

As I said before, your plating looks exccellent. And now to see it with one side almost finished one can tell that you are, indeed, doing an excellent job.  Good luck with the rest of the hull and I look forward to a completed hull when Ir eturn from holiday.  Take care,

Jerry