Shenandoah 1864 by SGraham - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:50 - American Civil War-era Cutter

Thanks for the comments J and Andy. They're encouraging.

Andy, you're planking the hull already! Go for it. On the transom, I think you can let the planks run right past the bottom edge and leave them long as they dry. Then, after the glue is cured, you can trim them and you'll have a nice tight, clean joint. Did you have to heat the planks to get that bend in them? Thanks for sharing the pics.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Dont worry about how long it takes, just enjoy the journey.

Thanks Sam. I think this is going to be put on a plaque and hung on the wall above my shipyard.

Steve

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

I gave my better half a shirt from a place by south lake bishop creek. Said "The journey is the destination"

I really like this saying!!

I also like "Steve's Glacial Progress Boat Works" because everyone knows that Glaciers are some of the most incredible and beautiful things on the planet :)

Thanks Bindy. I agree with you about the beauty of glaciers, but as transportation they leave something to be desired.

Your little Leudo is looking great. Nice fix!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

A little more got done at the Glacial Progress Boat Works. The first photo is my very first garboard strake. Please enjoy the artistic arrangement of the splinters. The problem I ran into is that the keel of the Shenandoah drops steeply down as it goes toward the stern. This leaves a lot of room to make up for. On the plans it shows a number of stealer planks at the stern. They come all the way forward to amidships. The first stealer sits right above the garboard, which is notched to take it. I decided to try it this way. Here are the results. The planks are too thick at the sternpost, but I'll thin them out at the final sanding. Thanks for reading!

Steve

post-7293-0-46763700-1395013748_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-25146400-1395013781_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-99759400-1395013793_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-26450000-1395013804_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-28956800-1395013817_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-42003900-1395013980_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks Sam. I think Sam's Tectonic Boat Works has an impressive ring to it. I'll keep looking, but I ain't seeing no Crystal Cathedral yet in that pile.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hey Steve,

I do believe your scrap pile is relatively small...you should see the heap I've accumulated...the trees weep!  What made it onto the hull look good, your scarf work on the keel is really tight. Nice job.

J

Thanks J and Sam.

So Sam's Tectonic Boatworks was shaking? I was up at 6:25 but I didn't feel the quake. 4.7 ought to be big enough to feel from Westwood to Glendora, but I hadn't had any coffee yet.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Couple more strakes. Four at the bow, six at the stern. Note how the stealers shift aft as they go up from the keel. The next pair will start at the next frame back. Sorry about the picture quality.

Steve

post-7293-0-24054200-1395199963_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-49708200-1395199974_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-02308000-1395199984_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-78357500-1395199994_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hey Steve,

Seems you've become expert a planking within just a few starkes, looks really clean.

J

Coming along nicely.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Steve,

You may not get a speeding ticket with the speed of your progress but I would take your quality over speed any day !!!

Your joins are perfect, the strakes are perfect and each step just looks exactly right!  It really is coming along beautifully :)

(and thank you for pointing out how the stealers are changing)

Edited by Bindy

Steve,

Your work is incredibly nice! I used whole lengths of wood to do my hull, which was not easy at times. I see u have segmented them, which looks to work better than what I did. How did u design the connections - is it based on an article or book u can recommend? I had to do some crazy things with stealers as well as some random filler pieces in the middle, so I can't wait to see how your hull comes together!

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks J and Bob and David and Bindy and Andy. I really appreciate the encouraging words.  I felt a little funny posting pics again after I'd only added a couple of strakes, but I thought the stealers might be of interest.

Andy, I just learned that stealers are wedge-shaped pieces of planking that are let into other planks near the stern. I think builders might use them at the bow as well, but someone who knows can tell us if that's true or not. Donald Dressel has a good discussion of stealers in "Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders" (p. 64). Charles Davis does the same on p. 88 of "The Built-Up Ship Model." Davis says they "are a good way to raise the planking aft." Dressel says they are used in places where "the area to be planked is too large for the number of planks which are to fit into that area." I included a diagram from Davis' book showing the addition of a stealer plank. I used this diagram to determine the shape of the stealers I used. I used whole planks too. The only partial planks I used were the stealers. I'm going to mark in butt joints on planks later with a scratch awl or something.

The planking shown on the hull plan for the Shenandoah has stealers on it. You have to look carefully. Starting at the garboard and working up, the pattern goes: Garboard (notched on its top edge to receive a stealer), first stealer plank, one plain strake with no notches, one strake notched to take a stealer, second stealer plank, one plain strake with no notches, one strake notched to take a stealer, third stealer, etc. I added a scan of the plan below. The first stealer starts at the middle frame and stretches to the stern post. The second stealer starts on frame back from the middle frame. The third starts one frame back from the second, etc. If you look at the run of the planking, you can see that it more or less follows the line of the sheer (the line of the top of the bulwarks). Without the stealers on this hull, the planks would probably curve downward at their ends near the stern, and that would look strange.

I really hope to get away with single-planking this hull, so I want the first layer of planking to look right. If I mess up I'll go with a second layer.

Anyways, That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Steve

post-7293-0-20750500-1395279881_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-92860000-1395280676_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks again Steve! Great info!! As for me, I was counting on the first layer for learning. My second layer (of thin walnut) looks pretty nice... much nicer than the first layer anyway! I will post pics on my log when I get back home from vaca. We are enjoying a few days on the gorgeous beach of Sanibel Island (Florida)!!

Happy Planking!!

Andy

Planking is great fun, but I think I'd rather be on the beach! Have a wonderful time!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a week since I posted last, so here's an update. I'm a little more than half way through with the first layer of planking. I hope it will be the only layer. I'm planning on painting the hull, so a little filler here and there should be fine. I haven't sanded anything down yet, so it looks pretty rough. I'm really enjoying tapering down the planks with a small plane. I've found that I can hang a pair of planks in the evening after work. That's about it. It's slow going but it's relaxing--and I guess that's the whole point.

I like how the planking came together around the sternpost. There's some filler on it, but I notched the planks on either side to fit around the post. The port side notch cracked while I was handling it, but it went back in nicely with glue and filler. The gap in the planking underneath the counter is for a pair of stealers. I'll need one more pair of them back there before I'm finished. Also, the wide basswood plank below the lowest walnut plank is coming out. It bends down at the bow, so I'll replace it with a plank like the others below it. Thanks for reading!

Steve

post-7293-0-15662900-1396063814_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-17318300-1396063849_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-03321600-1396063888_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-88863300-1396063917_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-29029100-1396064067_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-94760000-1396064086_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Good start on the planking.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm learning a lot on this hull.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

One more strake to go on the port side (not counting a couple of stealers at the stern.

post-7293-0-95268400-1396155587_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

And there's the last one. I'll add the stealers tomorrow. Good night.

Steve

post-7293-0-66106100-1396155699_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-65511100-1396155722_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)