Looking for a rigging book

Eddie

Hi I'm building the HMS Snake 1797 from Caldercraft and I'm looking for a easy read book on rigging can anyone suggest one or two books to buy?

Thank Eddie.

Edited by Eddie

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Rigging Period Ship Models...
By Robin Buckland
seaforthriggingperiodships_thumb.jpg

...a new book from Seaforth Publishing

seaforthriggingperiodships%20(1).jpg

Title:  Rigging Period Ship Models
Author: Lennarth Petersson
Publisher:  Seaforth Publishing
ISBN:  978-1-84832-102-1

... a Step-by-step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-Rig

This new hardback book from Lennarth Petersson and Seaforth Publishing is something I'd consider a bit different, but quite fascinating.  If you are a modeller who would like to have a go at rigging a period sail warship, then this is one for you.  I have to say I never have, and that is especially because they need the rigging to look anything like 'right' and I have never known enough about it to feel any confidence in trying.  This could easily change that, and would be a book of interest to not only modellers but also to both the companies and individuals who might want to make or restore the rigging on a real ship, or even those fans of the Hornblower, O'Brien and Kent novels which are all focussed around this classic period of sail.

The book is not text explanations, is is some beautifully done diagrams showing each and every eleement of the rigging.  The fore, main and mizzen masts are all covered, along with the Jib and every other stay, yard and sail you can think of.  It has been based on his study of a model of the 36 gun frigate Melampus, donated to a Bristol Museum in 1884, and one made by the builders of the actual shop at the time it was launched, back in 1785.  As a result, it is considered to be a faithful representation of the actual vessel.

For me, when looking at a ship like this, the mass and compexity of the rigging makes it difficult to think where to start or understand what it all does.  The pages in this book break it down, section by section, with clear drawings showing how each and every element looks.  If you follow this, you will end up with that complex whole.

For anyone wanting to know more about the complexities of rigging on a warship of the 17/18 hundreds, then this will be well worth you looking for.

Thanks to Seaforth Publishing for the opportunity to have a look at this new book. 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Eddie ; 

As Kevin told, "Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petterson" will help. Book has very nice and clear illustrations.

I'm not sure about if it contents anything about rigging " Sail and Steam Navy List : All the ships of the Royal Navy 1815-1889 by David Lyon & Rif Winfield " also may help.

Good luck, Bugra.

Edited by Bugra

There is nothing that a little sanding can't solve.. Bugra.

Current Builds : 

H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Bugra - 1/48

Turkish Traditional Ship - Surmene Takasi by Bugra - 1:35

Eddie -

The book by Peterson is definitely worth taking a look at, although it is focused on rigging a somewhat larger frigate from the same era.  You may find that things lay out a touch differently on the smaller Snake.  Another source, though much more complex, is James Lees The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625-1860 ISBN 978-0870219481

Between the narrative and drawings in Lees and the exceptional drawings in Peterson you should be able to both understand and make any adjustments needed.

ENJOY!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks to everyone i'll look at those books.

Thanks Eddie.

Edited by Eddie

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

The book by Petersson is great, not inexpensive, but clear with mostly drawings. A minor drawback (at least in the older version) is that there are no dimensions about line sizes, blocks, etc.

I had my first look at the book by ordering it through our local library. They are connected with many libraries around California. Mine came from Long Beach to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Below is an example. Each element is handled individually which makes it easier to understand.

post-246-0-41106300-1391469113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Thanks Modeler12

Eddie,

As Wayne indicated, although Petersson's book is good I'm not sure it should be relied on it completely, without referring to other reputable sources.

The very drawing Modeller has illustrated, shows the mizzen topsail and topgallant braces leading via the gaff, down to a belaying pin on each quarter. Most of the other sources I have read, indicate that the mizzen braces led forward to the main mast, often crossing to the opposite side of the ship to obtain better leverage. Petersson might be sure of the way Melampus was rigged, but one can't take it that others ships were rigged the same way. And if you're unsure about that...

Therefore, it's probably best to consult other reliable sources as well, such as Lees, etc.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

The very drawing Modeller has illustrated, shows the mizzen topsail and topgallant braces leading via the gaff, down to a belaying pin on each quarter. Most of the other sources I have read, indicate that the mizzen braces led forward to the main mast, often crossing to the opposite side of the ship to obtain better leverage. Petersson might be sure of the way Melampus was rigged, but one can't take it that others ships were rigged the same way. And if you're unsure about that...

Therefore, it's probably best to consult other reliable sources as well, such as Lees, etc.

You are absolutely right. I picked the drawing above because that subject came up before when I asked about rigging the USS Constitution that way. And indeed, as Henry pointed out, that is not how it is done on that ship.

Nevertheless, as a beginner, I learned a lot from Petersson's book.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Stockholm tar, will do thanks.

druxey i plan on buying all four of those books as i want to give scratch building ago thanks.

I think I'm going to be buying a lot of books lol.

Lees is excellent plus I cross reference with Seamanship in the Age of Sail by Harland, plus books by RC Anderson, Antscherl , Biddlecomb, Steel, Lever and appropriate AOS books. 

Like ST said above, seems as one cannot have too many books on rigging------                    Duff

I found Petersson to be very good in conjunction with the Caldercraft Drawings very good in rigging my Snake, helped me no end.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.