How do you stick the guns in?

I am a real Newbie idiot with a stupid question... I have seen lots of kits and they look splendid with those 3 decks of guns. When the hull is built, the planking goes all the way from top to bottom. Then you cut out square holes for the gun ports. So how do you put in the guns (on their trolleys) on, say, the third deck down? There is nowhere to put them?? Do you just poke the brass casting through the gunport and put in a dollop of glue?? I have looked at a few instructions, but still no help!!

Jimmie from Brissie in Ozzie

Jimmie,

The lower deck guns are "false" guns. They are simply a barrel with a "tang" on the end. Behind the gunports will be a strip or block of wood. A hole is drilled in this to accept the tang of the gun. A jig is usually made and used to ensure the hole is centred in the gun port.

Hope that answers your question.

That, or the guns are put in place as you go: each deck is fully equipped with gun and the lot before the next deck is going in.

Or, somewhere in between: the guncariages are plced, and the guns are glued in afterqwards, like in the Victory prototype build by Chris watton;

victoryprogforsergio4zp.jpg

Jan

Edited by amateur

Thanks guys, so thats how it is done . I guess in real life they would have manhandled the guns in pieces down all those stairs. Or did they store the guns on each deck before they put on the hull? That is why the cross sections are so interesting - think I might do one!! I have got Victory kit and also San Martin - dont know which one to do first!

jimmy from Brissie in Ozzie

Hello Jimmy

Do the easier and less attractive first. That way, you will learn as you go and if you spoil something, it will not hurt that much. You will get how to do things to apply to your harder and better model.

I an Not familiar with the San Martin, but I would bet that it is a simpler kit than a Victory.

Greetings

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hiya Jimmie,

I agree with UV on having a go at the easier kit first. However, having just checked out a pic of your San Martin, I'm not really certain which one will prove easier. Although my own first build was Constructo's HMS Victory, it was a rather hard build and took me almost five years.

If I was to do it over, there would be numerous things which I would have done differently.

One advantage you have is that you discovered MSW first !!!

Best advice I can offer - Aussie to Aussie - is have a read through all the information available right here before you make up ya mind.

Oh yeah, and Enjoy !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Jimmy,

I would actually suggest you put both of those models on hold, as they are not really suitable for the novice modelmaker – and make a simpler kit first. Sorry if that is not what you want to hear, but I'm sure that's the way to go. There are too many people who have been lured by the sight of all that rigging and the guns, started on the model, and then found it was outside of their capabilities. The model was then either binned, or was stuck on a shelf to gather dust. The modeller often then became disillusioned and gave up the hobby.

A simple kit has the advantage in that you can make a lot of the early mistakes on it, solve them (with the help of MSW of course!) and actually see it finished within a reasonable timeframe. When you've done that, perhaps you then think about San Martin or the Victory. You might like to start with looking at the Ship Kit Database, which gives information on the kits available. You'll find it at the bottom of the list, on the right hand side of the start page.

Regarding the guns and their carriages on the real ships, the vessels were usually launched before these were put in. Normally they were usually lowered down through the hatches in the decks using tackles from the lower yards (the spars across the masts), or were sometimes manouvered through the gunports using blocks and tackles – and a lot of manpower.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Over theyears I have seen many a beginning modeler buy a Victoory or a Royal Louis and then quit because the model was either too complex or the instructions a piece of trash. Start simple and then build up your skill and knowledge.

David B

Thanks guys. I have been cruising the cattledogs and think the following might be OK to limber up on:

Nave Egizia - Egyptian ship (Amati)

Les Trois freres (Sinagot)

New Bedford whaleboat (Amati)

By the way, 20 years ago, I built with my son, tthe "Le Husard". I think he did most of the work though.

What do you recommend? Suggestions welcome!!

Jimmy

I think it should be up to you.

I'd go for the one I liked the look of most.

But, conversely, you could always choose the one you wouldn't care if you made a right hash of it.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I have always like the Skip Jack by Midwest models.  The wood is mainly basswood but it can d be a fun and intetesting model.You can really play with it.

David B