Staining Blocks

robnbill

Okay, I have tumbled my blocks into a nice shape. Now I think I need to stain them so they have time to cure before I use them. What would be the color recommendation for the USS Constitution's blocks? Also, what is the best method for staining them. My current thought would be dipping them all in a jar and rolling them out in paper towels to get excess off and dry.

Is there a better type of stain to use? 

Bill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Thats rather messy.  I choose to place a few dozen on a some paper towels and then dip another in the stain.  Then roll them around with it.   It gets just the right amount on them without clogging the sheave holes.

Chuck

What I have done is run a line through a dozen of them at a time then a dip in stain.  I then hang them up to dry.  I then buff them with a felt heel pad.  Leaves a nice finish.

David B

Personal preference. I use Fiebing's leather dye. I use a small plastic cup and apply the dye to the blocks using a Q-tip. A few minutes' soaking does the trick. I then take off any dried surface excess with a paper towel, then polish each block with a little wax.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I have been partial to MINWAX Walnut and Old Oak for a more strained look.

David B

Edited by dgbot

So I stained the blocks this afternoon. I tried a few different methods. First, I tried rolling them around and rubbing them with a paper towel soaked with stain. Unfortunantly, this also proved to be pretty messy and if the towel was not soaked, it did not get into the grooves. The larger blocks I just dipped individually then rubbed the excess off with a towel. The smaller ones I ended up taking a large spoon and putting them all in the bowl, then using a dropper added enough stain to it to coat them all. Then I scrapped them off onto a paper towel and rubbed the excess off. 

All in all, I did not find a method that wasn't messy, but I got them all done. Than you all for your assistance. Holding my hand made all the difference.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

That is bad making me go to the shop before I have my morning espresso!

Anyway, here is a set of each along with a scale. I went dark, so they are a bit hard to see.

Bill

post-10450-0-81425500-1392818611_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA