Billing Boat

rogerpf

Looking for opinions about Billing Boats kits?  I bought a Bluenose II kit for $50 online.  I was not happy to see so many plastic parts such as blocks and deadeyes.  But was pleased at seeing some really nice brass pieces.  The instructions are not too good.  But on their website there is some good additional info.  In the box there was a sheet of thin wood about 32" x 8".  No idea what it is for. 

I bought another Bluenose II by Artesania Latina.  $30.  Has parts missing that 'should' be easy to fabricate.  Is AL a good brand?

Any comments greatly appreciated!   

I just finished a AL Bluenose II.  The kit was great.  Only one pain.  It was short about 2 dozen deadeyes.  I was able to get these from my LHS, but any larger issues would probably be better off suited to the manufacturer

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

In my humble opinion, both of these companies are good;  however, if you want a model that represents the real McCoy, neither of them are suitable unless you spend alot of time scratchbuilding.  AL is full of exotic woods that will make a beautiful model, but not very accurate.  My (30-40 yr. old) Billings kit of the Cutty Sark came with a set of G. Campbells plans, and the keel and bulkheads were spot on.  The rest of the kit is not being used and I am scratching the whole ship off of the good frame and plans.  I always will recommend Model Shipways kits by Model Expo, but even these vary as well. The good thing is that they will replace any part free of charge, no questions asked.

AL and Billings are almost mirror images of each other. The failings of one is the strength of the other.

Accuracy: Billings are often more accurate, AL usually quite inaccurate. Also, many AL ships are vessels which never existed. They are products of the designer's imagination.

Quality of wood: AL supplies excellent wood, the wood in Billings is terrible. AL boats look good if left unpainted, whereas Billings definitely need paint or stain.

Fittings: AL fittings are cast metal which may be a little coarse, but looks nice. Good use of Photoetched parts. Billings fittings are plastic, they feel cheap, but looks OK when painted.

Instructions and plans: nearly indecipherable in AL, decipherable in Billings but too sketchy.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I bought an AL Bluenose that was listed as incomplete.  The keel and bulkheads gone.  But for $29, I got all the rest.  I was impressed with the quality of the small parts.  No plastic. All wood and brass.  The instructions are a delight compared to Billing and MS.  The scale is different from the Billing I am working on, but almost imperceptible to me.  1/64 compared to 1/75.  I may use AL parts on the Billing or maybe hope I can find another AL that is incomplete.  "All" I need are the bulkheads and keel!

Roger,

Do the plans show the keel and bulkheads at full scale?  If so, you can some plywood from a craft store and make new ones.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Has AL possibly changed their instructions over the years?  The kit I bought was made in 1985 and the instructions are clear and easy to understand. 

I thought of making the keel and bulkheads, but in the plans I got, there are no scale drawings. 

have built a few billings kits over the years and normally replace the plastic parts with scratchbuilt wooden fittings where applicable. In the case of the cutty sark i replaced the billings dolly winches and ships wheel with sergal fittings.

Keith