HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

Hi Jason, I thought that the square top was a prerequisite only for the deck masts (fore, main, and aft)...

I think that I'll leave the top bowsprit mast round now. The black paint will cover that rookie's mistake...

Thanks for driving me to the right log!!

Edited by Stergios

The bowsprit fitted with walnut parts and cleats...

I still have the tendency to leave bowsprit and masts unpainted (red arrow) and only varnished (green arrow), just to give a sense of natural wood which, like the outer bulwarks i preffer so much...  

In the other hand is the option to paint bowsprit and masts in yellow ochre...

A "decision making" is needed....

post-944-0-79417600-1401035875_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-82559600-1401035877_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-07347600-1401035879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

I've left the most anterior grating unglued, as I have'nt any 2 mm anchor rope for the moment.

Do you still believe that the 2,5 mm supplied rope is so huge and out of scale..?? 

Edited by Stergios

I've ordered a couple of walnut dowel for the bowsprit and masts just to feel better the visual difference before I proceed to the the painted yellow ochre option... 

Edited by Stergios

I used .75mm for both (seems to be less than that anyway) as it looked more authentic comparing to the 0.5mm line.  If you plan to serve the it will also bulk it up a little.  Also, there are 2 sets of cleats to add near the base of the bowsprit for the stay collars which are easier to add before installing.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I used .75mm for both (seems to be less than that anyway) as it looked more authentic comparing to the 0.5mm line.  If you plan to serve the it will also bulk it up a little.  Also, there are 2 sets of cleats to add near the base of the bowsprit for the stay collars which are easier to add before installing.

Hi Jason and thank you.

I think I'm ok with the pair of the cleats (see my previous pics).

Unfortunatelly I have not experience with any serving...  

Edited by Stergios

Hi Jason and thank you.

I think I'm ok with the pair of the cleats (see my previous pics).

Unfortunatelly I have not experience with any serving...  

Stergios, this is what I'm referring to, right behind the gammoning cleats.  There should also be another pair behind this one. I had run out of room so just had to make it work with the heart collars.

post-891-0-63230300-1381422938_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Stergios, this is what I'm referring to, right behind the gammoning cleats.  There should also be another pair behind this one. I had run out of room so just had to make it work with the heart collars.

Jason, I cant' locate the second row of bowsprit cleats on the plans.

In the other hand I'm trying to undestand what's the reason of their existence....

Hi Stergios, here is picture from Plan 4, the two pairs of cleats are for the main and preventer stay collars.  I didn't have enough room to install both so could only install one set, but that was sufficient to separate the the collars. Hope that helps explain what I was referring to.

post-891-0-94074800-1401365569_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Stergios, here is picture from Plan 4, the two pairs of cleats are for the main and preventer stay collars.  I didn't have enough room to install both so could only install one set, but that was sufficient to separate the the collars. Hope that helps explain what I was referring to.

attachicon.gifIMG_0760.JPG

..... perfectly well Jason!

Cheers.

attachicon.gifIMG_0760.JPG

Well, now I believe I have fixed all the cleats in the right place.

To have enough vital room, I cut the rear pairs of cleats at a length of 3mm Vs the 5 mm of the other previously fixed. 

post-944-0-24651600-1401374447_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-05778300-1401374449_thumb.jpg

I purchased a serving machine from Alexey here on MSW, but I have seen people build their own. (I seem to have little enough time to build the ship that I don't want to spend time building tools!)  This is my opinion only, serving the rigging components can give some very satisfying results, but it does introduce an additional time factor as everything takes longer to do.  Its also a bit addictive, knowing when to stop can be hard - and once you've started to do serving, you're really committing to continue to keep everything consistent.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I purchased a serving machine from Alexey here on MSW, but I have seen people build their own. (I seem to have little enough time to build the ship that I don't want to spend time building tools!)  This is my opinion only, serving the rigging components can give some very satisfying results, but it does introduce an additional time factor as everything takes longer to do.  Its also a bit addictive, knowing when to stop can be hard - and once you've started to do serving, you're really committing to continue to keep everything consistent.

I see...

I believe that I can live without it... Time is a major pressing component and want to remind myshelf that I bought and started this kit almost 3 yrs before... 

I see...

I believe that I can live without it... Time is a major pressing component and want to remind myshelf that I bought and started this kit almost 3 yrs before... 

I know how you feel :P

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Very nice work  Stergios keep up the good work.

I am looking forward to seeing your next build, I wonder what it will be  :P

Vasileios

Thank you Vasileios. To see my next build (even I'm not sure what it will be, but you know my tendency..) I have to accelarate myshelf to finish my second beauty (Snake)