HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

Hi my friends

all those small strips of black paper of 2mm.... to simulate the metal bands etc on the masts.

It is about a special type (propably self-adhesive) paper?

How did you cut it and apply it so perfectly around the masts circumference?
I was thinking to apply rings of 2 turns of 0,75 line instead, I don't know whta's your opinion....

Thanks 

Stergios - take a look at link below for visual (Seems some had mysteriously disappeared from my log which I just corrected).  Use the black card included in the kit and cut 2mm strips.  The technique I found easiest was to take one end of the strip on back of mast with CA glue, you can then continue to glue around the mast making sure to keep everything square.  Tiny amount of CA glue again worked fine.  Once the band has been glued around the mast, glue with a small overlap and then trim off with a sharp blade.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/509-hms-snake-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-scale-1-64-first-wooden-ship-build/page-27#entry121805

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

The point is that I can't see any black paper in the kit... 

Sounds like it got left out of your kit  :( .  I'd suggest going to an office supply store and getting some thick black paper as an alternative to contacting Caldercraft - it would probably be a easier solution.

I like the look of the anchor rope you decided upon, your Snake really is coming together now and looking great.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

It is less than that. I had no problem with it.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

I agree with Mort, the gap actually makes life much easier for fitting the slings. I think the extra gap was introduced around this period specifically for that purpose.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Looking good Stergios. You're right to get the platforms parallel to the waterline, I found it best to get that correct first as the bibs required a little shaping to match as each mast has a slightly different angle. Not sure if you've made the top masts yet, but I suggest doing that before finally fitting the masts as it's easier to work off the ship with small adjustments - my opinion. I also saw there is debate as to whether to glue the masts, I did and given the slow setting time of PVA glue there is plenty of time to ensure these are vertical.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Looking good Stergios. You're right to get the platforms parallel to the waterline, I found it best to get that correct first as the bibs required a little shaping to match as each mast has a slightly different angle. Not sure if you've made the top masts yet, but I suggest doing that before finally fitting the masts as it's easier to work off the ship with small adjustments - my opinion. I also saw there is debate as to whether to glue the masts, I did and given the slow setting time of PVA glue there is plenty of time to ensure these are vertical.

Thank you Jason, I've almost completed the top mast out of the model (pics to follow...).

The foremast's lower edge is already dry-fitted/fixed in the respective hole/slot below the deck, with no chance of reamarkable changing of that slight posterior tilting...   Do you consider that tilting/inclination as undesirable/abnormal? In my opinion is'nt so important.

Thanks.

Stergios

Edited by Stergios

Are you referring to differences in the angle of the top and lower masts? They really should be parallel, and I definitely had adjustments to do to get it as accurate as possible. I used my eye to judge rather than any scientific measurement. If it looks good to you, that's really what matters as everyone sees things differently. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Are you referring to differences in the angle of the top and lower masts? They really should be parallel, and I definitely had adjustments to do to get it as accurate as possible. I used my eye to judge rather than any scientific measurement. If it looks good to you, that's really what matters as everyone sees things differently. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

I'm referring to the fact that the main mast is'nt vertical/perpendicular to the deck.

Anyway, the only thing that matters is to align the lower mast top parallel to the waterline, from this point of view I am ok...

Thanks Jason

Edited by Stergios

The masts should all be at different angles, the foremast will be closest to perpendicular, the slots in the keel factor this in. Every think is looking good!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished: