I've reached the point in my Bounty build where I will soon be putting together such things as the capstan and hanging the rudder from its post.  I have had to drill a hole for the rudder post and I'm wondering if it should be large enough so that the rudder will actually move on its gudgeon and pintles.  That made me wonder if any of the other moving parts are designed to and should be made to spin, rotate etc. or should they be installed and built as a "for show" only immovable part?

I think this is a case of build-it-your-way syndrome.  If you feel that all the moving parts should be replicated that way on your model, feel free to do this.  You could also do some of the moving parts, or none at all.  Just my 2c

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

Sound advice from all.  I will probably weigh the value of having something moving against any difficulty it would add to make it so.  I also realize that I won't want many people handling the model when done and it might even be encased.  So what would the point be?  Thanks for your replies.

Growing up I used to really like building plastic WW II airplanes.  Almost every one had broken props from people asking "Does this spin?" while they give them a whack with their finger.  My reply was always:  "Even if they did (which they didn't), how would this enhance the build?  Do you expect it to fly?"

Long story, short.  Do what you need to protect your build.   But by building things so they move 'generally' the visual effect is better.  On my models I generally make them moveable, but never demonstrate nor state that fact (the finger whack always comes after if you do).

As stated before, do what interests you to achieve the look you want.  Just try to keep that look as long as possible....

Mark

Moving parts would add another dimension to your models. Moving parts that mimic the real thing by proper movements and reaction, always grabs my appreciation. Defect of mine, I like reality and the model parts capable of being used as intended with decks and spaces kept shipshape and not dangerously cluttered. Spend as much or more time on figuring out just how things work or should work as I do admiring the skill of the model maker.

jud

I have been toying with the idea of building my model so that the entire rig is operable, i.e be able to set or furl sails, or brace yards as desired.  Not sure that I can accomplish this or even if it is feasible, but I have always wanted to make the attempt.

We shall see.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I forgot to mention that only I will move my moveable parts. I tell lookers to look but don't touch. I just like it that I made a pump that pumps, etc.

When I built my Dragon Class, I built it so that everything that could move did just to see if I could.  Even the sail slid up the mast in its groove.  I will not do it again but it was nice to know I could.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray