trunnels on margin planks?

Hi there:

I'm installing a margin plank in several sections, scarfed together. My question is whether there would have been visible trunnels at the scarf joints on the margin plank and if so, how they would be arranged. This is for the Fair Rosamund, 1831...

Thanks in advance!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

The trunnels would have been no more visible on the margin plank than anywhere else on the deck. :)

Russ

Hi Russ:

Thanks for the response, but this doesn't really solve my issue - are you saying there are no trunnels (or treenails) visible anywhere on deck or that the scarfs should be trunnelled the same way as the joints between the deck planks? Sorry if I'm being thick - I've just seen many modellers adding treenails to their decks....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

If you want to add trunnels that is fine. On a real deck, they are not really that visible. On a model it is a personal choice to add them or not.

Russ

To me adding trunnels is a personal choice.  Ona real vessel they are easy to miss.  On a model if not donw prooperly they detract fom the model.  Many modlers put them in and they ad a maritime measels effect.  They are either to big or n ot in contrast with the deck.

David B

Hamilton,

What scale is your Fair Rosamund?  Trennals  (trunnels, treenails, trenails,  tomato, tomahto) for the deck planks were relatively small.  In addition, they were often seated below the surface of the deck planks then capped with a wooden cover piece so the end grain of the trennal was not exposed.

If you are at 1/4 scale and you want to use and show treenails, go for it.  They were probably no more than an inch diameter or less.  The smallest hole on my Byrnes draw plate is needed to get this small.  Not an easy task, even using bamboo.

If I was building at 1/8 scale, I would not show them as I have no way of making them small enough.  3/16 is a close call but doable (look at Ed Tosti's Naiad build log for evidence.)   IMHO, out of scale trunnels and hatch gratings are the easiest way to ruin the look of an otherwise fine model.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Based on the plans for my current build (Passaro Confederacy 1:64), treenails run across the margin planks in line with the butt planking for the deck planks.  I would think that, at your scale of 1:53, including them would be most reasonable if that's your preference.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hamilton

This is the deck of the D. Fernando II e Gloria built in the 1830's

she is in Lisbon. That's my size 8 in the picture.post-641-0-60056200-1403456263_thumb.jpgpost-641-0-18323600-1403456322_thumb.jpg

Current build               Dom Fernando II E Gloria  crossection 

Finished boats               Portuguese Caravel     Artenaval

Yacht Mary                 Mamoli

Mayflower                  M.S.

H.M.S. Unicorn           Corel

Whaleboat                 Marine Model Co.

Swift                         A.L.

America (solid hull)      Marine Model Co.

Albatros                     Mantua

U.S.S. Constitution      Revell

Spanish Galleon           Revell

Well it seems I'll have to give it some thought. I added treenails to my 1:25 scale Glad Tidings pinky schooner, but at that scale they looked appropriate. At 1:53 (a little smaller than 1/4) it might not be doable. I certainly want to avoid a pock marked deck....at the same time, if I can fashion a small enough treenail and if, once the deck is finished, they blend in well, I may go for it....I'll probably do a series of tests before finalising the decision anyway. 

Thanks all for the input and for the nice photos! 

hamilton

The 'treenails' in the D. Fernando II e Gloria are probably side-grain plugs over nails or spikes. You would not want end-grain wood on deck: moisture will wick in and promote rot in short order.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I have seen where, in more wooden built ships, they used wood plugs over the counter sunk spike or nail and the grain of the plug ran the same as that of the surrounding deck planks.

Russ