Halifax 1768 by Littlebob - Constructo

Halifx1239.jpg

Hi guys here is my next build the Halifax.

I saw this kit on ebay for a very good price, it was new and still sealed so I could not resist. I have a few other reasons for choosing this kit, below.

1. I wanted a ship from the mid to late 1700 period.

2. I wanted a ship with a few more cannons than the Virginia.

3. I wanted a kit that would be a little more detailed.

4. More important than the first 3 reasons, I wanted more rigging.

I have checked the kit everything looks good all accounted for and no damage except a warped false keel. I already like this kit better than the Latina kit, the wood looks pretty good, the instruction appear to be a little better and more important most but not all of the fittings are wood.

I could only post a pick of the box as in the process of correcting the warped keel I snapped it in half oops! to bad I almost had it straight, it has been glued and clamped but I want it to dry over night.

When it dries I will add some ply wood along the break for strength. All comments welcome.

Halifax1240.jpg

Time for an update.

I was able to salvage the false keel, I had to use a lot of 3/4 by 3/4 stock and dowels to get it straight and remove the warp, I also added the kit filler blocks at the bow and stern.

I think I may add another set of filler blocks between the first and last bulkheads to ease the planking process. All comments welcome.

Edited by Robert Vaglio

• 2 weeks later...

Halifx1241.jpg

Halifax1242.jpg

Halifx1243.jpg

Way past time for an update.

In this update I faired all the bulkheads and filler blocks, I still have about 15 or 20 minutes of hand sanding just to clean things up a little. I know my bulkhead filler blocks look sloppy that's because I used what ever scrap I had on hand.

I will try to keep the updates coming a little faster. Next up I will add the false deck and a few planks and that's when the interesting stuff starts. All comments welcome.

Edited by Robert Vaglio

Robert:

Great work. No one cares what the frame work looks like since it all get planked. The main thing is to get it to a point where you can plank it.

One thing I see and I am sure you see it too. The aftermost filler blocks appear a bit too full yet. The closer you get to the outboard edge of the bulkhead, the more it needs it. Just a little more fairing there and it will be fine.

Russ

The filler blocks at the stern look much better. A test with some scrap planking will tell you a lot at this point. There should be no severe bend in that area. A mild bend for sure, but nothing that would break the plank in half.

I like installing the keel, stem, and sternpost prior to planking. I think it makes a neater job. Others will disagree, but it boils down to what you are comfortable doing.

Russ

Thanks Russ, I thought installing those parts would give a cleaner job also, I have decided to paint most of the hull so not sure if it really mattered, lol.

Thanks Schnu, yes larger scale should help with any modification, which there are shore to be many.

Edited by Robert Vaglio

• 1 month later...

Hi Robert!

I somehow have not seen this build before.  Looks like a nice ship to model, and I look forward to seeing it progress.  1:35 is a nice scale too, don't think I've seen a ship of this type in that large of scale before, only the ships boats, and the gunboats.  Looking great so far, and nice save on the keel.

Robert,

I made this kit as well - it's a nice ship with some fine details. I did not paint the hull because I liked the two colour wood.

Here's a picture of mines:

post-11645-0-36649600-1412884553_thumb.jpg

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available