Swift by ronv - Artesania Latina - Rebuild

This is my first build log of any type on any forum so I am a little intimidated. Plus I am an old guy and the technology age has passed me by. I have been modeling for many-many years but am still not very good at it. I have three goals in mind. First - I hope, with a log, I might be encouraged to actually finish something. Second - I am sure I can learn a great deal of modeling from you all. Third - To learn the technology... I am going to attempt to upload my first ever picture in my next post.

A little background on my build. I built AL Swift about 25 years ago. I intend to remove the rigging, try to get all the dust off, refinish, add detail and redo the rigging with sails. I have ordered the Petersson book "Rigging Period Fore-And-Aft Craft. I already have his other book. I really don't know what details can be added or even what an early 19th century pilot boat should look like. I am going to start by searching this forum for ideas. I'm sure I'm not the first person to want to improve this old kit.

Ron:

The model looks like it just needs a little TLC. One thing you can look at is to get the gaffs peaked up at a higher angle. That will look better and be more like how they were actually rigged. Have fun.

Russ

Russ, with a better pic you could really see how much TLC it needs. Here is one more with a little more light. I'm now going to start taking Swift apart. Could someone help me find some detail shots of a pilot boat from this era, or maybe a build log of someone that has improved this kit?

post-2556-0-54752300-1408045616_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronv

I have disassembled swift and started cleaning. The hull planking is damaged to the point that I am considering paint. The plans for the model are long gone so I have nothing to reference for location of the waterline. The attached picture is an "eyeball" attempt. What do you think?

post-2556-0-10108800-1408179724_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronv

That waterline is pretty close. These vessels trimmed by the stern, which your waterline depicts. So far so good.

Russ

Thanks Russ. Would it be appropriate to paint? I've looked through several "Swift" builds and I don't think I've seen anyone paint the lower hull.

I have spent the last couple of hours sanding the deck. I'm about half way. Whatever I put on there 25 years ago is really hard to get off. I am including another pic of the forward part of the deck. As you see, the most forward part of the bulwarks is a mess. I don't know if it separated over the years or if I left it like that. There is no way to pull it back together. It would destroy the hull, so I'm going to have to hide or cover it up some way on both the inside and out. The waterways are also a mess. There is a gap between the waterway and the bulkwark that needs to be filled with something. This is turning into more than I at first anticipated. Originally I planned to clean it up a little, re-rig using the Petersson book as a guide and add sails. But so far, I am enjoying it. I guess that's all that matters.

post-2556-0-83147200-1408218637_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronv

Ron:

Paint is definitely an option.

As for the bulwarks, it looks like there has been some separation there, but I think if you replace the cap rail and make sure the forward ends of the rail meet at the bow, all will be well. By the time you remount the bowsprit, that separation will not be noticeable.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I need a set of plans for my Swift rebuild. The kit supplied set was discarded 30 years ago. I have checked on Model Expo's website and they don't list Swift plans available. I think that is where I bought this kit long ago but I'm not sure. I understand the new Swift kit has sails. Do the plans have a sail plan? If so, where can I get a set? Would someone here that has finished the kit be willing to sell me your set???

Hi Ron--

My first build (probably about the time  you started building) was the Swift and as I've progressed I've often thought of doing another one to correct the mistakes I made.  But your project is inspiring me to maybe rebuild mine with a few modifications and hopefully more skill.  I'll be following your rebuild with interest.

On question--how did you remove the superstructure from the hull and how much of it are you going to be able to reuse?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Hi Tom. Thanks for reply. My masts were not glued, so no problem removing them. The deckhouses will be left in place. I'm not sure yet what all will be reused. Actually I'm not even sure what I'm going to do. I'm having trouble finding research material so I don't know what a pilot boat is suppose to look like. I just received a copy of Lennarth Petersson's book "Rigging Period Fore-and-Aft Craft" hoping for a guide of sorts but it won't help much. It is a great book but doesn't cover this type boat. I have done some searching of plan services with no success... I have continued to work on Swift. Mostly covering poor workmanship. I have painted the lower hull white and reworked the bow. Right now I am adding a new cap rail. I will add some updated pictures in a day or two. Why don't you pull out your old Swift and let's collaborate. A word of warning.. I'm not very good at this. I will surely learn more from you than you will from me.

We'll figure it out, Ron! 

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

• 2 weeks later...

I am still having trouble finding data on "pilot boats" in general but I think I have determined that these boats had no shrouds or stays, therefore no standing rigging. Is that correct? If that is correct, all the rigging lines would be of the lighter color. Right? I'm getting ready to order some blocks and line from Chucks website and I want to get as close to right as possible. No deadeyes, no ratlines, etc. Correct?

Hello Ron
For all the information you could ever need on the American Pilots see Cunliffes series, Vol 1. Its a 2 volume set and I was lucky enough to find both on ebay fairly cheap, but it took months of waiting for the right price. It is an outstanding resource though, one of the best in my opinion. It use to be available on google books also, in part, but I believe it has been taken down sadly. Cunliffe has a great deal of illustrations which are useful, but it is a pricey book (or set) unless you can find them reasonable used.

http://www.amazon.com/Pilots-Pilotage-Schooners-America-Britain/dp/0937822698/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410332625&sr=8-2&keywords=cunliffe+Pilot+boats

I would Also highly recommend Chapelles - The American fishing Schooners, 1825 to 1935. It has some great detailed drawing of the rigging, such as Boom and spar jaws and many more details.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Fishing-Schooners-1825-1935/dp/039303755X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410334349&sr=1-4

I've gotten nearly all of Chapelle's catalog of books off ebay for under $10 a book, it just takes a bit of waiting and I've found the older hard covers superior to the newer Bonanza book versions.

As far as build logs you can use the search function and refine it to search just titles by clicking the little gear looking thing to the right of the search box. Make sure to mark only search in titles next to the "match" drop down menus.

For some Swift builds, Mine is linked below in my sig, but it is WAY off topic and I'm just starting rigging.

Others I highly recommend, which are completed:

Gabe's - some nice rigging upgrades.
http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4072-swift-by-gabe-k-artesania-latina-first-wooden-ship-build/?hl=swift

PopJack's - I believe popjack has sail plans if you need them PM him, he's a great guy. He also painted and coppered the hull.
http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1765-swift-by-popjack-artesania-latina-virginia-pilot-boat-1805-older-version/?hl=swift

Jared
http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/436-swift-by-jared-artesania-latina-1805-virginia-pilot-boat-first-build/page-8?hl=swift

These are the 3 build that I can recall that are finished and with logs.

Dubz has a nicely build version in the Gallery.
http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/album/46-swift-virginia-pilot-boat/

as does Moonbug
http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/image/924-swift-hdr-800-04/

You are correct that the pilots were light rigged and without stays and light standing rigging, for the most part, as lighter meant faster and a better chance at business. The pilots also morphed into the schooners and clippers as advancements happened. Also as privately owned boats, they varied greatly from region to region and owner to owner. So the rig depended a lot of the individual owner. Ive seen some pretty rustic pilots...

Keith, thanks for jumping in. I have been through your log several times from beginning to end for inspiration. I have no illusion that my rebuild will come close to the quality of your Swift or "Dark Side of the Moon"... For reference I have discovered that I have an old Model Shipways kit of "Katy of Norfolk". It is almost identical to Swift. I'm hoping that will be all I need along with Petersson's two book on rigging. I have cleaned up the old boat a little and offer a couple of pictures.

post-2556-0-90060000-1410389227_thumb.jpg

post-2556-0-13240600-1410389579_thumb.jpg

post-2556-0-67319100-1410389595_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronv

• 1 month later...

I hope you are still progressing with the restoration.  I've been looking into artwork, pictures drawings anything for reference on the pilot crafts.

as Keith pointed out what books that are out there can get pricey so I started using google on virginia pilot boats , pilot boats,  schooner.  both looking at web sits and then switch the search to images then video

I found also a good place to start was  http://www.schoonervirginia.org/  the official web site of the recreation of the original Virginia. 

this site has allot of articles and resources ( look in the resources section ) I remember coming across a few articles on the Katy but hadn't had time to look at them yet.

http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/news.php

Current Build Log(s):

-Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1805- Artesania Latina 1985 no sails kit.  My first wooden ship build.

Carrack - Woodkrafter Kits

Completed Build Log(s):

-Pirate Ship- Woodkrafter Kits Ship in a Bottle - First ship in a bottle kit build.

-The Secret Revealed Boat in a Bottle Kit- Authentic Models - Ship In Bottle

On the Shelf to build:

- Build a Ship in a Bottle Kit - Authentic Models

- The Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Products

- Armistad 1832 - Serial Modellbau

- San Gabriele 1497 - Serial Modellbau

- Clara May English Ketch - Artesania Latina

- Santa Maria - Scientific

- Margaretha - Tris Model

- Paranzella - Tris Model