HMS Victory by mtdoramike - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

I have been working on the hammock stays and found that I have to cut a groove into the railings in order to mount them securely since the hammock stays that were sent to me by Artesania Latina weren't the supplied etched plate, but loose hammock stays sold individually. I cut the bottom corners off of the hammock stays, which helped them fit into the groove better. They also only sent me three sizes and I believe there are about 4-5 sizes shown in the manual. It's not that big of a deal except for the rear railings in front of the stern castle, there is like 4 different sizes shown just to get that slope correctly. So I will have to use the largest stays, cut off the posts and drill small holes the same width as the normal stays and cut the posts once I gauge the height properly. Thanks Latina for throwing that little curve ball in there. :o 

Mike

post-13395-0-66096100-1428928027_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-72334700-1428928033_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is some updated pictures of the build so far. As you can see from one of the pictures, the board that I use to build the masts on before mounting them on the model.

I also really, really hate to paint nice beautiful wood, so I went by my local Hobby Lobby and sifted through their stock of dowel rods and found most of the sizes I need to build the mast and spares with.

Mike  

post-13395-0-96239800-1431082421_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-83095600-1431082426_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-77168200-1431082431_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the display case that I'm having built by Abordage of Miami Florida. They had the best price for a display case that uses 4.5mm plexi (the biggest they offer) and framed with solid hand rubbed mahogany frames and base for a tad under $1000.00 shipped. It comes in a kit form and must be put together. I will do a little build log on the display case with my review also when I receive the kit. The only drawback I see so far is they quote you a time frame of six to eight weeks for delivery and so far it's spot on, I just received the tracking number from Abordage yesterday, which was at the end of the sixth week. 

Mike 

post-13395-0-78467800-1431082878.jpg

post-13395-0-49724600-1431082887.jpg

Edited by mtdoramike

Hi Mike,

Just beautiful work as usual....and the stand is looking great.

I've yet to do any Rigging so it's a nice tip for me to  see how you assembled the masts on a separate board.

Also, I missed the fact that you're donating the ship and display case to the Library....definitely a kind and generous thing to do on your part  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

She's got some height to her now Mike! Very nice! Good idea with the assembly jig for the masts. Yes, you're a better man than me, as I'd have real difficulty giving her away, opposed to keeping it in the family. I'll definitely be interested in seeing the case go up. I'll probably go with them as well, since their prices seem to be much more reasonable.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

hahahahahahaha Thanks, not really, I haven't finished it yet so the jury is still out on it. But seriously, I have built so many models over the years for them to either wind up in some private collect, board room or lobby of some corporation that I just wanted to build one that local folks could see and appreciate it, hate it, nit pick it, critique it or admire it and it not cost them anything to do so. I also have a kit of the Montane's by OCcre that I picked up on the classifieds here that I hope to build once the Vic is finished and donate it to a charity of some sort like Make a Wish, St. Judes or similar, (which ever will accept it) for them to auction or raffle off. But that will be a couple of years and about 2500 hours down the road.

Mike      

Thanks George, The mast board makes sure to keep the glue off of the main deck while building the masts. The only issue is keeping everything lined up and straight. I should have a report on the display case shortly since it shows that UPS is scheduled to deliver it today. The weight on the display kit isn"t for the faint of heart with the UPS tracking info indicating the weight at 128 pounds.

mike   

The display case arrived this afternoon. The UPS driver said it was one of the biggest packages that he had ever delivered to a residence at 128 pounds. I told him that it was a display case for a ship model, he replied "Dude, 128 pounds, that must be one heck of a model". Upon inspection, I would guess that at least 30 pounds of the 128 pounds will end up being packaging because it is packages very well. Here is a picture of how I received it with a yard stick in front of it.   

post-13395-0-13971900-1431113835_thumb.jpg

That's lighter than I thought it would be. Glass is heavy, especially 1/4" safety-glass. My measurements will be at 52" L x 20" D x 34" H.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Oh ok!! The "Glass" stickers through me off for a minute. I was thinking you were going with Plexi originally. Because of the weight and safety issues, I'll be doing the same. I am curious as to how difficult it will be to take apart to change a panel down the road, if need be.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Well, I for one, am sold already!!  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Now that I'm getting close to starting the rigging, I'm going to get some tar from my local home improvement store and try and thin it down enough to make it the consistancy of paint to use on some of the rigging like the rat lines. Model Expo used to sell liquid tar made by Flow Quil paints that I used to use. But they stopped selling their paints.

mike    

• 2 weeks later...

Wow your case is now sorted, hey great idea regards mounting the masts, honestly I would not have thought of that, goes to show what experience gets you. It is a pinched idea already. I do like her painted and if the Caldercraft is destined to be a future build it will need to be.

She is looking stunning and look forward to seeing the ship in situe.

Hi Paul, nice of you to drop in. I know what you mean, I was questioning the paint thing as well, eventhough there are two ships I think really should be painted, which is the Connie and the Vic. But now, I'm glad I chose to paint her. I hope to have some updated photo's of my progress shortly. I have been a tad under the weather for the past couple of weeks with angina pain quite a bit and being overly tired. Hopefully, I will get back to work shortly.

Here is a picture of the display case finished putting it together. I left the paper on the acrylic until I get ready to take it to the library. The case, which was ordered through Abordage ship models and cost $870.00 and the measurements are 54" x 40" x 20" (inside measurements). It took about 6 weeks to receive from Abordage. The case is manufactured in Dominican Republic and then shipped to Abordage's Miami Florida office and then dispatched to you by UPS. It's a great case made from Mahogany and the price can't be beat as long as you can wait for the 6-8 week construction and ship time. 

mike  

post-13395-0-10684600-1432480987.jpg

Edited by mtdoramike

• 1 month later...

She looks splendid Mike!  Almost finished with those dreaded ratlines, almost makes it a "downhill-slide" from here.  :rolleyes:  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

• 3 weeks later...

here is a few more updated pics of the Vic with gun port covers installed. I still have a few more standing riggin lines to affix and rig, but I took a break from that and started dressing the yards with foot rope brackets and other attachments. Then I will affix the sails to them so that they will be ready when I get around to starting the running rigging.

mike   

post-13395-0-37380300-1437595969_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-71054500-1437595975_thumb.jpg

Thanks George. I'm just trying to keep at it as to not lose interest. I figure like this, what little I do now, will just be one less thing I have to do later B) as long as there are no re-do's :(, which I have had a few of those. There's nothing like doing something twice to take a bit of wind out of your sails. 

Yeah---Re-do's are a necessary evil, and kind of depressing, but after it's all said and done, the reward is worth the effort when a plan comes together and you end up with a better result for it.  B)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more work done on the Vic. I have most all of the sails attached to their prospective yards with all blocks installed as well. They are about ready to be installed on the mast. Was it a major pain in the %$^*(**()&$% to keep the sails seperated as to which mast they were to go on while attaching them. A few of the sails had to be resewn due to Artesania Latina sending out the wrong sails that I was missing from the kit Like the main fore sail, they actually sent me another large Main sail. But it was worth the extra bit of work to keep from having to cut out and dew all of those sails. What a time savings. 

mike

post-13395-0-56197800-1438559117_thumb.jpg

post-13395-0-55135100-1438559122_thumb.jpg