Emma C Berry by Koopyetz - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

Rick -

Others can provide better examples of tools for carving the rabbet - I used a small v-blade that worked adequately, though not ideal.  You definitely would be better off on this build by carving the rabbet prior to installing frames - the rabbet is pretty much aligned with the base of the frames, and for some sections will be very difficult to carve with the frame in place.  Carefully measuring (and double checking) the edges before beginning carving will also aid in aligning frames when you install them.

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Rick -

Others can provide better examples of tools for carving the rabbet - I used a small v-blade that worked adequately, though not ideal.  You definitely would be better off on this build by carving the rabbet prior to installing frames - the rabbet is pretty much aligned with the base of the frames, and for some sections will be very difficult to carve with the frame in place.  Carefully measuring (and double checking) the edges before beginning carving will also aid in aligning frames when you install them.

Wayne

Thank you for your input.

Emma's a great way to transition to POF.  Rabbet is cut before frames are attached while you can work on it laying flat.  Very sharp chisels or xacto knives.  Very light cuts repeatedly.  The angle of the rabbet changes so take your time.

Maury

My sketch shows that the angle of the rabbet changes as Maurys mentioned ( I also noticed rabbet cut information on drawings) . As this is the case , since the frames are not in place, do I need to make paper templates  of frames to  rest along keel to help verify angle of rabbet cut that will receive plank?

Thank you all for your input.

Rick

post-3136-0-55357100-1410552688_thumb.jpg

Having just finished cleaning up and organizing frames I'm currently working on cutting rabbet .

As part of this work I have glued two frames and dry fit them in place . The are helping me visualize how the rabbet needs to be cut.

Interesting how fragile these frames seem as they now stand but the laying on of timber such as beams and planking will make for a sturdy craft.

Regards

Rick

post-3136-0-15883300-1411056326_thumb.jpg