Blaken-It discontinued by MicroMark

I just tried to order Blacken-It from MicroMark and even though it is listed in their most recent catalog their online ordering system says it is "out of stock, discontinued, no longer available".

Anyone else encounter this? Anyone know of an alternate source?

Jack

Bluejacket Shipcrafters sells a blackening solution that I have used for over ten years. Works well. They are a MSW sponsor and you can find their advert on the forums page.

Russ

Amazon sells what seems to be a similar product.

http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Brass-Touch-Up-3-Ounce/dp/B0000C514O/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411595890&sr=1-1&keywords=blacken-it

And Model Expo will have it in 15-30 days

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=AW2

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

While I'm far from an expert in blackening, I used Birchwood Casey Brass Black. I bought it locally in a gun shop for about $8. I got mixed results but that was due mostly to how well I cleaned the pieces to be blackened and the metal being blackened. My cannons got a nice dark black while some solder lines needed two applications to get where I wanted them.

I've never used Blacken-it so I don't know how the two compare.

JAX Chemical company sells a blackener called Pewter Black that works real well on brass, copper, and solder.  I apply it with a paint brush, and when the metal is dark enough I rinse the part with tap water.  It doesn't seem to get a scale like blacken-it does.  I've tried painting it onto wood and then rinsing it off with water, and there is no residual stain.  This means you can use it to blacken (or touch up) a metal part that is already in place without staining the surrounding wood.  It's what I'll be using from now on.  It even blackened the stainless ferrule on the paintbrush!

http://www.jaxchemical.com/jaxshop/shopexd.asp?id=61

Frank

Edited by Mahuna

I used JAX Green Patina on the copper hull of my Norfolk. It worked well provided the copper was clean before application. See pics of my Norfolk in My Gallery. Actually it worked a little too well. I ended up 'toning it down' a little by giving it a very light rub with fine steel wool. I too have used Birchwood Casey Brass Black quite a lot. It works well providing the copper/brass is clean and/or has the 'coating' applied by some manufacturers removed. Guns and pump on my Mermaid were blackened with Birchwood Casey - again, see My Gallery. Both are available on EBay.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina