Help! What is the Meaning of BIS

robnbill

I am rigging my Mamoli Constitution. When a line is doubled, i.e. Port and Starboard it has a D right after the numerical designation. However, some of the lines have BIS both on the table and the plan. The translation means, again, or encore, but I do not know how it applies to the rigging or why it is different from D. You can see from the photos below, 133 is marked BIS but has a quality of 2 and BIS is marked in the drawing as well. 185 is also doubled, but is only using the D designation in the table.

Anyone?

Bill

post-10450-0-81575900-1413216096_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-32574300-1413216097_thumb.jpg

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

What "BIS" could be is beyond me, but that particular line is your inner martingale backrope, and 143 is the outer martingale backrope. The outer connects to the bottom of the dolphin striker and the inner goes to the next one up. Note: Both are seized at the dolphin striker, and BOTH connect port and starboard. Hope that helps a little.

Cheers

George

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks. That is the way I ran them. I was just unsure why occasionally they marked both the plans and the tables BIS instead of their normal D. Also, I need to seize them both as they go through the Dolphin Striker? The plans only showed the bottom one seized. The others all run through holes in the striker. Should I still seize them?

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Spyglass gave the answer as "twice or again" but outside of purposely making the plans more obscure by not just using the letter "D" for P/S, I don't know. The plans for the MS version are relatively easy but there are places in them that could have been worded different to make it a little easier to understand as well. I guess most plans are just vague in nature.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 6 years later...

Related question: On the model (MV 71) it says "glue on the dolphin striker" and the plan shows 197 "bis" Anelli con Gambo - it shows two rings on the upper end of the strikers but I don't understand what those are.  (I find these plans take require a lot of patience and cross reference, plus considerable interpretation - pictures from the real Constitution site for modelers helps a lot.)

Hi Bill, in Italian (I am Italian), on a technical drawing, this means that you have a component which has the same denomination of another one and to distinguish the two you add 'bis' to the number (which, as said before, means 'second time'). You might go on with 'ter', 'quater', etc. Just for curiosity, these are numeral adverbs from Latin. Some times this is done deliberately (because maybe the components are identical, but on different positions) or because you realize that you have to squeeze another denomination number in between adjacent numbers.

Best regards,

Dan.

Edited by Danstream

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

On 11/2/2020 at 7:57 PM, jfitzjr1 said:

Related question: On the model (MV 71) it says "glue on the dolphin striker" and the plan shows 197 "bis" Anelli con Gambo - it shows two rings on the upper end of the strikers but I don't understand what those are.  (I find these plans take require a lot of patience and cross reference, plus considerable interpretation - pictures from the real Constitution site for modelers helps a lot.)

'Anelli con Gambo' means 'eyebolt', or a stem (gambo) ending with a ring (anello).

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

• 4 weeks later...

It happens in French as well.

In fact French audiences don't yell "encore!", they yell "Bis!".

And you occasionally get a couple of houses sharing the same street number (perhaps for historical reasons to do with subdividing the property, or a stuff-up when the street numbers were originally allocated) - where we might have No. 29 and No, 29A Veebelfetzer Street, they'd have 29 and 29 Bis Rue Veeblefetzer. 

It means something like “again” or “another”

happens in Russian, too.  There was (actually is) a development of the Polikarpov I-15 Chaika as the I-15 bis which has retractable u/c and many more developments ( I seem to remember it lost the extravagant gull- wing, too)

Ironic, I always thought as Chaika means “gull” 

Andrew

"Pas d’elle yeux Rhone que nous”

Kits under the bench: Le Hussard (Started in the 1980s)

Scratch builds:               Volante, Brig (R/C): Footy Drakkar "Rodolm" (R/C).  Longship Osberg (R/C)