HM Mermaid Rigging questions (edited by admin)

Rick01

I've just opened my Christmas present and am attempting to research a few items as I start my build. Obviously I've been over Ollie's build http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3958-hm-colonial-cutter-mermaid-by-ollie-modellers-shipyard/?hl=mermaiduntil I almost can repeat it by heart. However I am still puzzled by one item and that is the yard/spar/boom whatever attached to the top mast. Ollie after discussion by pm has it attached centrally and notes that it may be a "flying" yard which I won't dispute as I have pretty well zero knowledge of ship nomenclature. However from studying King's own sketches/water colours it appears that it is loosely attached possibly via block behind the top mast and at a point 1/3rd along its length.

post-15284-0-07641300-1419660083_thumb.jpg  

post-15284-0-55434700-1419660091_thumb.jpg

This is born out by some models and sketches from the NMM (UK) 

post-15284-0-66342800-1419660169_thumb.jpg

post-15284-0-11564300-1419660174_thumb.jpg

post-15284-0-37719100-1419660186_thumb.jpg

So - how does one rig this or is it something that would only be brought out when you wanted to go really really fast!! If so where would the yard be stored on or below deck? Just as an aside I saw that Ollie was querying the cannon positions, if you look very closely at the first picture you can see what appears to be a single cannon run out at the rearmost cannon port.

Rick

Thanks - knew there would be a simple answer. So displaying the finished model without sails would mean that the only evidence of this would be (and I'm guessing here) a spare block near the top of the top mast and a similar spare block at the end of the gaff.Would any rigging be run through these and if so where would they be tied off? Or can you point me to a simple (layman's) instruction manual?

Rick

Yes, Rick, the blocks would be there, but usually the rigging wouldn't be set up unless the topsail was going to be set.

There is a book on gaff rig called 'The Gaff Rig Handbook' by John Leather which is very good, but it is not really a layman's book.  It covers racing yachts and some working craft from the late nineteenth century on.

John

OK next rigging query (and unless it's a problem I'll keep any rigging type queries going on this thread). The mainsail attaches to the mainmast via a number of large metal rings, when the sail is removed I assume that the rings stay on the mast, so if I complete my model under bare masts I assume that to be somewhere near correct these rings should still be apparent sitting on the yoke that connects the boom to the mast (excuse the terminology if it's incorrect). 

I'm nowhere near this stage yet but I prefer to have an idea of what I'm doing well before I get there and find I've got to tear something down because I forgot to ask the question.

Rick

I'm basically working off those for details of rigging etc. rather than the plan booklet supplied. I also noticed that the blocks controlling the upper boom/gaff? seem to attach via hooks rather than having been bound to it. In this case the eyelets that they attach to would either have been bound to the gaff or bolted through it at a guess. I wouldn't have thought the latter however as that would seem to weaken it quite considerably.

Rick

This watercolour seems to show hooks on the second and third visible blocks counting from the left. Blowing it up in Photoshop makes them appear quite clearly as a hook shape below the block. 

Just as a matter of interest this also shows something looking like an F1 air intake reversed on top of the anchor winch!

post-15284-0-50491300-1419738600_thumb.jpg

Pittwater News has the best copy see http://www.pittwateronlinenews.com/bungaree-was-flamboyant-by-neil-evers.php

Rick

Edited by Rick01

Very interesting, Rick.  They do look like hooks on those blocks - most unusual - I haven't seen that before.

The "F1 air intake" is the galley chimney.  it looks like the galley stove has been brought up on deck here - you can see the cook tending to something in it.

John

Not exactly something King would get wrong is it.  :)  Looks like I'll be making some VERY small hooks later in the build and I had no intention of kit bashing this early in my career.

I thought it may be a stove but didn't realise they were "mobile" so looks like an Aussie BBQ isn't anything new.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked on actual schooners and there are occasions when the Throat and Peak hailyards are taken off the gaff in order to be used to lift very heavy objects aboard. In fact this process is used for every uprig and  downrig since its the best way to rig the spars on and off the boat. I image moving the guns on a cutter would be greatly simplified this way. If you think about it it makes a great deal of sense since the tackle is all set up, the crew is VERY accustomed to its use and its located perfectly. Having hooks makes its use that much easier.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Thanks for the url, Wayne. That is a great image. I imagine that cooking on deck was done for two reasons: one, limited below deck space and two, the climate.I imagine that is evidence of the first down under barbie!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the picture - better than the one I have. It has raised another couple of questions however. First the oven would appear to be exactly where the anchor windlass should be situated and second the anchor attachment would appear to be chain not rope. Any one like to comment, particularly over the windlass situation.

Rick 

Chain was certainly becoming more fashionable and common during there industrial revolution, so its use here would not be particularly remarkable. 

As for the location of the  'barbie'; it's quite possible that, after mooring, the windlass drum was dismounted. One assumes that the ship was anchored for a long period of time here.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The State Library of NSW has posted on-line the Phillip Parker King - album of drawings and engravings, 1802-1902.  Each image can be viewed in very large detail (see my link on the previous page for one example.

The description and image thumbnails can be found here: http://www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemID=442570

A very detailed sketch is here http://www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cgi?itemID=921633&size=full&album=1&collection=823393&parent=442570(higher resolution image of one shown in the first post by Rick)

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 3 months later...

Now starting to rig the mast and spar and further questions have come up. Footrope stirrups - no length has been given for these - I'd guess that they should be scale equivalent of around 850 mm to allow feet on the rope and waist on the spar. Can anyone confirm/comment. Additionally as I'm using King's sketches which clearly show no topsail yard how/where do I attach cluelines and sheets? 

Rick